Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Kate Offline OP
OP Offline
K
"A hardline Indonesian Muslim cleric, who served time in jail for his role in the 2002 Bali bombings, has warned that scantily-clad women on TV shows are more dangerous than bombs. "If one is asked which one is more dangerous, naked women or the Bali bomb, the answer is certainly the women with such revealing clothing," cleric Abu Bakar Bashir was quoted by the state Antara news agency as saying. The report says Bashir warns that watching such women on television can destroy the faith of a believer. He says he is perplexed as to why the country's TV channels are airing programs with women wearing barely-there outfits "and not programs that are blessed by Allah, such as the activities of prayer groups..."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200609/s1745759.htm

But where are the studies to back this up!?!

I couldn't help thinking this sounds like a study from the Annals of Improbable Research.

W
W
We will never find a "Common Ground" with these people. Our Cultures are just too different from one another.

J
jjw Offline
Superstar
Superstar
J
Well!

Just one more reason I will never be a "beleiver".

jjw

T
T
It would seem the only people that revere scantily clad women on television shows are the lecherous and the superficial. Many societies prefer women to show less and display more in terms of taste and intelligence.

Darkness is but the sum total of Creation inclusive of the Light.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
On the contrary, intelligent women are often scantily clad - and many intelligent men and women love to admire them.

W
W
Te Urukehu? With a moniker like that you must be a Maori. "Ki orana!" from Samoa.

T
T
Talofa Lava Wolfman, indeed I am (Maori that is).

T
T
Wolfman, I supppose we then need to define what intelligence is. Good point.

R
R
It could be argued that not to admire naked women is an insult to God if you believe he made them.

A
A
I tend to agree with the cleric. I have on numerous occasions driven past areas (like the beachfront) where these scantily-clad women barely cover the bare-essentials. This has had a devastating effect on my ability to concentrate behind the wheel, or - plainly put - I don't watch where the hell I'm going. I also find that my eyes stop working properly because I over-stress the ocular muscles when zooming in on the subject/s. Sometimes I even start crying - surely a recipe for disaster when in control of a two ton projectile.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any adult who can't keep their attenion on the tak at hand--driving a large vehicle down the road--in face of any distractions should not be driving at all, period. The first and foremost thing is my mind while I am at the wheel is that I'm in charge of a two thousand pound killing machine that is indiscriminate in choosing its victims. I drive accordingly. People accuse me of missing the scenery, but my eyes are mainly on the road, thank you very much. No person, however gorgeous, is worth losing control and causing an accident. Pay s trict attention to the task at hand and you'll find your control of your vehicle at all times to be acceptable. And if you must stare as you pass the beach, let someone else do the driving.

Safety must always come first.

I'd be willing to jump on this nudity hand grenade to save my Muslim brothers, if need be.

Now if that ain't altruism, what is?

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
--S. Lewis
T
T
Amaranth,I have a relative that drives just like how I imagine you to drive. Thank god for road rage.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Don't get me wrong. I enjoy the scenery. I like to watch for a glimpse of the blue heron in the marshland on my way to town. I just don't let my looking interfere with my driving. I have often been rewarded with the sight of the heron standing in the marsh, and probably have missed him/her many more times than I have seen it. But I don't have any accidents on my account for sightseeing. I know when to keep my eyes on the road.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
I'm right there with you soilguy. ;-)

What amazes me about this sanctimonious nonsense is that they criticize the women for being women but not the men for their response. If the men are not mature enough to control their urges why is that the woman's fault?

They stone the women to death for adultery but not the men who seduce them. What is wrong here in Islam is not different from what is wrong with other major religions. Gross hypocrisy and misogyny.

When they start lopping off male bodyparts for learing at a scantily clad woman ... I'll at least give them the benefit of not calling them hypocrites.

DA Morgan
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
DA, not all major religions have a problem like that. some have no problem with nudity of either sex. Some teach that there is natural drive, but there is also a equal ballancing force (im trying to keep it out of religious terms as much as possible) that controls those drives. They dont make a distintion between male and female.

Please either signify the difference or at least show that its only some of them.

For the most part, as far as I myself know about, its the ones that have decendent form Judism that are that way. i could be wrong though.

the more man learns, the more he realises, he really does not know anything.
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
dehammer wrote:
"not all major religions have a problem like that."

And among those major religions you would count?

Please name two or three.

I think you are wrong. In all of my world travels, and I have been in quite a few countries, I have seen a lot of topless men walking down the street. I have yet to see the country with topless women (except those that are animist).

DA Morgan
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Wicca is one

Druidism is one.

of course your likely to claim that they are both pagan and therefore cant be real. They are real and they are practice widely.

Im not an expert by Ive been told that Voodoo witchdoctors (I know very little about them, save that in some parts of the world they are very open) does not have such a problem. Of course, youll likely put this into paganism too so claim its still only one.

not all major religions are as 'in your face' as others, but then again 'in your face' does not make it neccissarily a major one.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
I asked:
"And among those major religions you would count?"

dehammer responded:
"Wicca is one" and "Druidism is one."

You have a strange idea of the concept of "major".

Perhaps this will help you:
http://www.teachingaboutreligion.org/Demographics/map_demographics.htm

DA Morgan
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
let me explain where the diffinition came from.

According to your "expert" link, there are 6 religions. Methoidist, Baptist, Catholic are three of them. instead of them being Christians they claim they are 3 seperate religions. The non christian religions are Jewish, Muslim/Islam and Buddhist. Another problem with your link is that it only shows the us.

It does not take into count the 100000 wiccans in texas that i personally know of. I dont know of all the groups, not to mention the thousands of ones not associated with the Council for the Magickal Arts (CMA) (by the by, having the spelling with the k seperates the belief in witch craft fror the magic of fantasy).

According to Christians (who you claim to not be, yet you accept their definitions) there are 4 religions Christianity, Islam/Muslim, and judisim, and everything else is pagan and therefore classified as devil worship and not considered a religion.

Why, if your Atheist, do you constantly accept the Christian definition of things. I would hazzard a guess that once upon a time you were a hardcore, bible thumping chistian, who one day found that god did not give the frown miracles that you believed that he promised you. Perhaps in Vietnam? Sorry to say that you still follow their teaching, frown even if you claim to be Atheist.

Its been proven that stats like the ones that religions use can prove anything. All you have to do is set up limiting factors that will block anything you dont want to be considered. I actually saw where they were doing that poll. If you were anything but one of their selected groups, your vote got discarded. that is why they dont show any wiccan, or druidism or other religions.

now if your just defining major as a number such as 1 percent of the population, then, no wicca isnt, at least in the US. It has less than .1 percent of the population. part of the problem is that so many have never come out as wiccan because of how their friends and such treat other wiccans that are out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.