Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#11727 08/29/06 12:11 PM
T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T
Most of my life growing up our family had dogs - my first was a bulldog-chihuahua mix that I gave to my grandmother, but we had labs, german shepherds, beagels, a poodle, a great dane, huskies.

I recall when I met my wife I told her about my love for dogs. I also remember her first comment to me:
"Oh, honey! Doggie meat! You nevah know how tasty!" to which I immediately responded, "Damned straight."

It took a long time to convince her, but we finally got a dog - a JRT, Jack Russell Terrier. It's a great dog - smart, active, playful - and also extremely stubborn.

At a mininum, every weekend, and sometimes once during the week, I take her to the local off-leash dog park. This kind of dog REALLY loves to run around. At first she seemed to have a problem with boxers and pitbulls. She was all the time picking fights with them. Now she seems to get along very nicely with all the other dogs.

Still, she exhibits this curious behavior. She's constantly smelling other dogs' behinds, BUT she snaps at dogs who try to sniff HER butt. "HEY! Whatcha doin back there? Cut that out! Mind your own business!"

It's very curious. Lots of otherwise very pleasant dogs get into fights over - nothing. Sometimes it's a dominance thing - but often it's misinterpretation. See, not all of the dogs are equally well socialized and some have habits that the other dogs interpret as threatening.

Anyway, it's curious and amusing behavior. I've been taking her to that park for over a year now - every weekend, without fail.

#11728 08/29/06 07:48 PM
J
jjw Offline
Superstar
Superstar
J
Growing up in Philadelphia, PA in heavy traffic, was not a good place for animal pets. When I was a little child we did have a German Shepard that would let me ride a little ways on his back. We were great friends and he was normally very gentle. One day the Lady of the house was in the process of giving me a deserved spanking and the dog saw this and came right through the screen door at her. It scared us a lot, mostly her. The final straw was added when I was walking the dog that some how took issue with some other children and it was all I could do to keep the dog off of them. We were all scared. Bye, Bye old pal, no regrets. I feel sorry for some people that are so completely wraped up in their pets- pointless?
TFF, your animal sounds great.
jjw

#11729 08/30/06 03:25 AM
T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T
She's a bonny little beastie. She's actually the kids' dog, but my wife thinks its her own dog, and the dog thinks she's mine.

The dog park was intended as allegory.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.