Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#11654 08/20/06 09:29 PM
L
Lenore Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I was just wondering if the majority of individuals who participate in the discussion forums have careers in the scientific field, or hobbies pertaining to such? Obviously everyone here has at least a minute interest in science. I was just curious as to how that interest was used. laugh

"A plague on both your houses!"
#11655 08/20/06 10:39 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
8% careers in science
72% interested in science
10% cranks (as defined by: http://insti.physics.sunysb.edu/~siegel/quack.html)
7% anti-science trolls who have deep psychological needs to prosletyze
3% moderators who are trying to figure out whether this site is to about science or just a free speech platform for the masses

And my numbers are for those that don't understand statistics.

DA Morgan
#11656 08/21/06 03:54 AM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
It depends on what you mean by the question. I have a "career in science," but I am not a scientist. I work for a lot of PhDs - most in physics, but a few in statistics, math, computer science, economics, etc. Most of them treat me as a peer - or I don't work for them for very long.

I've done technician type work (running cables, system config stuff), technologist work (database implementation), engineering work (design robotic trainers), system programmer work (for long distance carrier), but I guess I'm now more of a 'research programmer'. I talk through a problem with a bunch of guys and we decide how we're going to solve it - sometimes I write the code, sometimes I just tell someone else how to do it, or give advice. Some times I just read a bunch of stuff, summarize it, and give my opinion (tech stuff, but also historical stuff).

#11657 08/21/06 08:23 PM
L
Lenore Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Any work even remotely scientific will be fine. Thanks! smile

"A plague on both your houses!"
#11658 08/21/06 09:39 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
i worked with lasers. i believe that is somewhat scientific. at least as much as computer programming.

the more man learns, the more he realises, he really does not know anything.
#11659 08/21/06 11:15 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
But perhaps less than a BS in organic chemistry and years in the pharmaceutical industry doing interfaced gas chromatography-mass spectrometry? ;-)

DA Morgan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.