Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#11647 08/28/06 06:18 PM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
"Are obsessively curious."
There is no reason to believe that ants are 'curious' at all.

'Do not recognize human emotions.'
False.

"Which they communicate back to a centralized source."
Science is a highly decentralized activity.

"Each individual has a specific job to do."
Some individual humans do many jobs, either consecutively or concurrently.

"Immigrate to other areas"
Many animals immigrate.

"Live in colonies, and have colonized most of the earth"
Cockroaches, too.

"Obey hierarchal authority blindly"
Some humans do. There's no reason to think that ants follow any authority other than instinct.

"Go on forced marches destroying everything in their path:"
Some ants do this. Some humans do this.

This is a science group, not a political forum. Do you have a point to make that is pertinent to science?

#11648 08/29/06 01:46 AM
T
turak Offline OP
OP Offline
T
You are not being scientific; there is no such thing as a non-human emotion PERIOD, there are only irrational humans like you anthropomophizing their pets.

The entire pre-history of hunter-gatherere cultures is full of the same self-deception you have. They believed every rock, every tree had a HUMAN spirit inside it. This is where the idea of spiritualism comes from. The assumption that everything in NATURE has a human nature.

Your mammal pet has almost the same nerve system and sensory apparatus you do: but it does not have human emotions. It likes attention, it misses another animal if it has grown close to it and has become used to spending hours and years with it: simply because there is suddenly a HUGE vacum in its lifestyle that it does not know how to fill up.

But your pet does NOT... I repeat NOT have the human emotions you have.

It has been TAUGHT to have responses to your interaction with it that YOU encourage, that is all. It can also be taught to feel love. It can also be taught to WANT to be loved.

But genetically and instinctively: it does NOT have any human emotion.

Take any animal in the wild who has never met a human... and if you ever try to cuddle it or smile at it, or doA NYTHING you are used to doing with your pet... it will tear yout effing HEAD off, because it will not know what the hell you are doing, or why you are doing it and it does NOT like things it does not understand.

Even if you take a wild animal out of its natural habitat: and domesticate it for YEARS... it will still not have human emotions. Even if you raise it from birth: it will refuse to act like a human with human emotions.

You know nothing about animals. You only think you know; because you have never dealt with another species it its environment, without human civilization clogging up your senses.

Quote:
Originally posted by dehammer:
Quote:
Originally posted by turak:
Quote:
Originally posted by dehammer:
actually, no one said they have human emotions, just that they might have emotions. big difference there. the thing is, where is the proof they dont have any.

oh, and da, when you answer the part about studies proving the suns existance, theres no need to use more than a hundred. im sure he'll get the picture.
Wrong. There is no such thing as a non-human emotion. The only emotions humans are able to recognize are their own.
Obviously you have never been around animals much. Ive been around dogs, cats horses and a few other animals. i can tell you animals have emotions. Any human that cant recongize that is to selfcentered for their own good. How far down that goes is a scientific question that i dont believe anyone has ever attempted to answer. (that part is of course just MHO) Do ants have emotions? im afraid im the wrong person to ask, as ive never studyed long enough too even consider that question. I would not say yes or no without having to see some proof one way or another.

#11649 08/29/06 01:56 AM
T
turak Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I suggest you take your adolescent behavior and leave this forum. This forum is for discussion. There is no reason for namecalling just because you lost the arguement.

Quote:
Originally posted by DA Morgan:
Turak is male, caucasian, 18 years old, lives in Wheeling West Virginia, and has never had a girlfriend.

He is using SAGG as a forum to pretend he is an adult.

I'd think it would be a huge improvement if he acted his age.

#11650 08/29/06 02:02 AM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
"You are not being scientific; there is no such thing as a non-human emotion PERIOD, there are only irrational humans like you anthropomophizing their pets. "

That is an idiotic thing to say. If you pass the Turing test, we still treat you like a rock? If it looks like a skunk and smells like a skunk ...

I don't think a guy who says that ants are like scientists because neither recognizes human emotions is the one who gets to decide who is being scientific.

#11651 08/29/06 05:45 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Quote:
You are not being scientific; there is no such thing as a non-human emotion PERIOD, there are only irrational humans like you anthropomophizing their pets.

The entire pre-history of hunter-gatherere cultures is full of the same self-deception you have. They believed every rock, every tree had a HUMAN spirit inside it. This is where the idea of spiritualism comes from. The assumption that everything in NATURE has a human nature.

Your mammal pet has almost the same nerve system and sensory apparatus you do: but it does not have human emotions. It likes attention, it misses another animal if it has grown close to it and has become used to spending hours and years with it: simply because there is suddenly a HUGE vacum in its lifestyle that it does not know how to fill up.

But your pet does NOT... I repeat NOT have the human emotions you have.

It has been TAUGHT to have responses to your interaction with it that YOU encourage, that is all. It can also be taught to feel love. It can also be taught to WANT to be loved.

But genetically and instinctively: it does NOT have any human emotion.

Take any animal in the wild who has never met a human... and if you ever try to cuddle it or smile at it, or doA NYTHING you are used to doing with your pet... it will tear yout effing HEAD off, because it will not know what the hell you are doing, or why you are doing it and it does NOT like things it does not understand.

Even if you take a wild animal out of its natural habitat: and domesticate it for YEARS... it will still not have human emotions. Even if you raise it from birth: it will refuse to act like a human with human emotions.

You know nothing about animals. You only think you know; because you have never dealt with another species it its environment, without human civilization clogging up your senses.
first off, i never said they had human emotions. i just said you had never been around them. please explain without some type of emotion why a cat can get along with certain other cats, including Alpha males and females, and with others it depends on many other factors. Or why some get along just fine and other times they dont. Explain why one time a cat wants attension and other times does not. Explain why a cat purrs when petted by some people but not by others. Explain why they will take food from one person's hand but will not from another that they know, even when they will eat that same food when it is put on the ground or floor.

any scientist that has ever watched cats and dogs will tell you they have emotions, some of which are analog to human emotions while others dont seem to have a corrisponding one in humans.

few people every come under the false impression that animals act like humans. they will desplay on occasion human characteristics, but that is in situations where they have not learned to behave like other animals through contact. This does not mean they have human emotions, but rather they are doing as all animals do and pick up on the behavior of things they consider to be the alpha a male or female.

why are you trying to claim that everyone else is so dumb as to claim they have human emotions. Can you really think that you are that so much superior to everyone that you dont have to read what they say to know what they say? If you think that, youve obviously made a big mistake.

only you have stated or suggested that they have human emotions.

you complain about others insulting you, but you insult everyone. time to stop if you expect others to treat you with any kind of respect.

the more man learns, the more he realises, he really does not know anything.
#11652 08/29/06 05:49 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Quote:
I suggest you take your adolescent behavior and leave this forum. This forum is for discussion. There is no reason for namecalling just because you lost the arguement.
1) he would have to have lost the arguement for that to be taken into considerations.

2) if you act mature most of the time he will treat you that way and others here will do so all the time. Insulting everyone here is not the way to win arguement and most definately not the way to discuss things.

the more man learns, the more he realises, he really does not know anything.
#11653 08/29/06 10:44 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Turak wrote:
"I suggest you take your adolescent behavior and leave this forum."

Were I not three times your age I'd agree.

DA Morgan
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.