Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"PHOENIX - A petroglyph near Phoenix may by the only record in the Western Hemisphere of a supernova that appeared in 1006 ? the brightest supernova visible from earth for more than 5,000 years."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060607/ap_on_sc/supernova_petroglyph;_ylt=AmqvV6NXBz6MBCVxTv6AxddxieAA;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NmhocGZ1BHNlYwMxNzAw

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
very interesting. nice find.

the more man learns, the more he realises, he really does not know anything.
W
W
I wasn't able to open the web site, but I've heard of the event. There was another event of the same magnitude in June of 1054. It was documented in China and Japan and can be seen in cave paintings in Australia. Here's the thing that I find intriguing thing - Nobody in Europe saw a darn thing!!! That's right. It blazed for 23 nights AND DAYS! That's right, it was so bright it was visible during the daytime in the then-undiscovered "New World", yet nobody in Europe saw it? We can pin-point the date that it was first observed, July 11th, 1054, because Arabic Calendars were very sophisticated. They coroborate the sightings in the Orient. From what Historians can gather, it had a magnitude of at around -10, approaching the brilliance of a Full Moon. Then, on the night of August 2nd, it faded from view even faster than it had appeared. It is mentioned in the verbal legends of Alaska and Polynesia, Primitive Cultures at the time, but nothing in European History speaks of it.
Today we know the event took place, we can "see" the remnants of a Supernova in the Constellation of Taurus, but there's nothing in Ancient European Literature that even mentions it.

An Age is not called "Dark" because light doesn't shine, my friends, but because people refuse to see it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.