Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
RM Offline OP
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
R
"Thus Rob ... while your idea may make some perverted sense to you..."

Easy with those wild assumptions and accusations DA Morgan, what idea?

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Rob wrote:
"Easy with those wild assumptions and accusations DA Morgan, what idea?"

Sentences need subjects. Does yours have one?

DA Morgan
R
RM Offline OP
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
R
Yes, the subject of your attitude. Next time you read a post, take a few deep breaths and calm down before you formulate a reply. Unless, of course, your sarcastic and angry attitude is meant to be humorous. If that is the case, keep up the good work.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Angry? Don't flatter yourself. You are not that important.

But yes often my point is sarcasm, cynicism, and hopefully the loaded dart aimed at those who pefer fantasy over reality.

DA Morgan
X
X
Now now boys, medical science has ruined what ever evolutionary tail our fine race was taking, but it has also given rise to such a mind as Steven Hawking. lets not play a role we aren?t meant to play the environment to a degree will do away with the "inferiors" and strengthen to a degree the "survivors" but so long as we are screwing with the way evolution is going its not going to work as well as it had done previously to medical science, you can thank our hatred for loss and despair for that little spanner in the works . . . thanks emotions *thumbs up*

R
RM Offline OP
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
R
Imagine having all your senses temporarily incapacitated. That would be so fun! You?d just be alone with your thoughts.
Is this actually possible? I was thinking of something along the lines of intercepting brain signals with electromagnetic waves...

J
jjw Offline
Superstar
Superstar
J
ROB asks:

?Should people whose brains work in a very different way to normal humans be considered human? Also, should people who's brains are structured in a way that stops them from having any memories or being self aware be regarded as 'humans', or primitive organisms??

There appear to be multiple questions here.
People whose brains work in a very different way from normal humans may be very beneficial members of the community. The issue is what kind of different way are they working. More harmful or obstructive is not welcome. Being different, of itself, is not a measure of anything important. So yes they should qualify as human- if that is a goal.

The second part: ?Also, should people whose brains are structured in a way that stops them from having any memories or being self-aware be regarded as 'humans', or primitive organisms?? This conjures a picture to me of some bedridden human looking thing that may be brain dead or some such. The ?thing?, if that is what the question is offering, usually starts out as a human for all appearances. So it is not self aware and it has no memories and the difference here, I think, is that we distinguish between what is born that handicapped and what may become the bedridden vegetable do to any number of circumstances.

When I look at the question that way the issue of being human has nothing to do with the status of the person being discussed. Obviously we are talking about a human. The make up of the brains function is not an essential criterion to qualify as human. The reduction later in life to a non-functioning state is not relevant to the determination of what was human to start with; the entire question appears to be pointless now that I have looked it over.

Another question on what I think was intended would be how severe must a baby?s handicap need to be before being judged not worth saving. In other words simply let the handicap run its course to a natural termination? I cannot begin to make a choice of that kind. I do not doubt there are some that can do so and still sleep well.
jw

P
P
One day all the organs in the body were arguing about who was the most important. The brain shouted loudest, that it was since it was the centre of all activity. Then the stomach squealed and claimed that it processed all the food therefore it should be the boss. The heart said what about me, I pump all the blood around the body and give it what it needs I should be boss. Then the liver, spleen, intestines all laid claim. Then from the bottom of the body came a schreeching wail, it was dear old arsehole, trying to point out that he should be boss. well didn't all the other organs start laughing and chortling. So arsehold got fed up and closed himself very tightly. The other organs continued to laugh but not for long. After a couple of days, the brain started feeling funny, the heart started having palpitations, the stomach was bloated and sick, all the organs started feeling the pinch. After four days, they began to beg arsehole to open and eventually admitted that he was boss. So arsehole opened and soon everything was back to normal. Moral of the story - Even retarded people have a part to play in life and society. Just because we think they are unimportant doesn't mean they can't surprise us.

R
RM Offline OP
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
R
what did appendix do?

J
jjw Offline
Superstar
Superstar
J
Philege :

I saw that rendition some time ago and hoped then that I would not see it again. The moral you recite bears no relationship to the "story" that I can determine. cheers!
jw

P
P
I was only trying to point out that even retarded people are part of our society and that we cannot do without them. I thought of modifying the story for maximum impression, sorry if it disgusted you.

"Just because we think they are unimportant doesn't mean they can't surprise us."
- Philege

Exactly who thinks retarded people are unimportant (other than to surprise us of course)?

"I was only trying to point out that even retarded people are part of our society"
- Philege

Maybe I misunderstand your intentions.

Sincerely,

"My God, it's full of stars!" -2010
R
RM Offline OP
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
R
jjw004,
You are right, the question was pointless. But some of the answers sure weren't!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.