Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
#10202 10/14/05 11:50 AM
R
RM Offline
Superstar
Superstar
R
Blacknad, do you have schizophrenia?

IQ tests only test your abilities with logical problems.
Is there a test that examines the right side of the brain?
(By ?right? I meant the opposite to left, and I?m not implying that logical reasoning is unimportant.)

#10203 10/14/05 03:45 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Rob asks:
"Blacknad, do you have schizophrenia?"

Blacknad ... this is the second person here, in the short time we have known you, that has thought this out loud.

You really should seek competent psychiatric intervention.

I don't say this as an insult but because you are, even in this controlled environment, causing people to question your mental health and successful treatment is quite common.

If what you've said of your past is true, and I've no reason to doubt you, your self assessment of your situation should not be trusted. Least of all by you.

DA Morgan
#10204 10/14/05 10:50 PM
B
Superstar
Superstar
B
Dan - Well, it wasn't the best foot to get off on but after reading as many posts as I have and seeing how people are sometimes talked down to with barely concealed contempt, (and I am not talking about people talking down to me), I am even more convinced that knowledge, (whilst positive and essential), can have a detrimental effect upon some people?s ability to relate with others, if they do not approach it with humility.

As for needing psychiatric help - I live a very stable life, am a married Father with a beautiful, well balanced daughter (who has a secure and confident personality). I hold down a challenging job and have a good social life. So quite balanced and stable in that area.

I can be impulsive at times and I get passionate about stuff (no bad thing) and this is the first proper forum I have bothered to post in, so forgive me for taking a little time to learn the etiquette.

I was upset at first when I came here. I had this idea of science types that was probably a little too romantic, and when I saw people trading insults in a way that I have not come into contact with in adult life, I felt angry - and responded negatively (of course my feelings were further impacted by the sheer amount of religion bashing that was going on - I am not used to that - if you actually knew me you would know that I am actually quite moderate and do not go around pushing my views down people's throat, in fact far from it - so I don't encounter anything like the stuff here that I thought was almost tantamount to hatred).

I suppose the anonymity of forums contributed somewhat, and it didn't really feel like I was insulting anyone. I would never say anything like it in my natural social interactions.

When I came back to it in a more chilled out mood the next day I was embarrassed at what I had written, so I apologised.

I am not too small to admit to having the ability to behave like a child on occasion - most men do - and there is certainly a fair amount of it here.

I hope that explains why I do not need psychiatric help and I am certainly not schizophrenic, although I used to be a counsellor, counselling schizophrenic teenagers - the closest I have come to schizophrenia.

Also I have apologised on more than one occasion for my comments ? I have not seen another apology in this forum so far, although one or two are definitely due.

And I think I trust my stability, by other's assessment surrounding me, as well as my own.

Dan, you misunderstand me.

Regards,

Blacknad.

#10205 10/14/05 10:57 PM
E
E
Quote:
Originally posted by Blacknad:
Do not take seriously what is being said out here. Besides, those who have something to say, will not waste typing time on insults.

Best,

es

#10206 10/14/05 11:04 PM
B
Superstar
Superstar
B
Thanks ES,

It's something my wife's always telling me - 'Don't take things so seriously'.

smile Blacknad

#10207 10/14/05 11:08 PM
B
Superstar
Superstar
B
Thanks ES,

It's something my wife's always telling me - 'Don't take things so seriously'.

smile Blacknad

#10208 10/18/05 01:07 PM
R
RM Offline
Superstar
Superstar
R
dude, you just wrote nine paragraphs explaining yourself and convincing us all that you're normal. Now you've posted the exact same message twice!! What are we to think?!

#10209 10/18/05 02:51 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob:
dude, you just wrote nine paragraphs explaining yourself and convincing us all that you're normal. Now you've posted the exact same message twice!! What are we to think?!
Don't rag the man, Rob. It's no big deal. Nothing serious, no harm done. Don't be so quick to be harsh on someone. You're gonna give the guy a complex. Anybody can have a bad day and make a double post. Nobody's perfect. He can delete one of them if he wants to edit the message himself.

#10210 10/28/05 11:12 PM
P
P
Funny enough, you know the guy who invented the TV, had an IQ of 90. Is the measurement of an IQ actually accurate? I mean if one does the same test every year surely there will be an increase in points at least. Incidently, when only 12 years old, my official government monitored IQ was 160 (not that funny test you find on the internet, no the real IQ test, the ones with symbols and stuff.

#10211 10/29/05 12:59 AM
E
E
Quote:
Originally posted by Philege:
Incidently, when only 12 years old, my official government monitored IQ was 160
How old are you now? What career did you choose? Were you successful in it? Have you been disappointed, and had to change the direction? Sorry asking questions, but I am very interested, and it is impossible to get those answers without asking - unless you are a person of that high IQ.

e smile s

#10212 10/29/05 01:11 AM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
When Richard Feynman was in high school his IQ was measured at 125.

#10213 10/29/05 11:19 AM
P
P
How old are you now? What career did you choose? Were you successful in it? Have you been disappointed, and had to change the direction? Sorry asking questions, but I am very interested, and it is impossible to get those answers without asking - unless you are a person of that high IQ.

e s

To answer your many questions. I am 48 years old. I chose accountancy and was very successful. Yes I have had to change direction due to circumstances in my home country of Zimbabwe. However, does success measure one's IQ? I don't think so, if you go to countries like India and Pakistan (Where incidentally the first computer virus was actually invented) there are geniuses walking naked in the streets, some of these guys have IQs so high that they even seem stupid. Even their eyes are squint and their feet pigeon toed! Yet they can perform marvels with their minds. Unfortunately, due to circumstances I grew up in an orphanage. The nuns who ran the school which was private refused to allow the government to remove me from the school and put me in a special institution for 'intelligent' children. I never used to study at all and would come first or second (If I chose to). Some years ago the UN was running a competition where they wanted the result of a formula which was left half done. This was circulated to all the schools throughout the world. My daughter came and showed me the formula, I took one look at it and told her the answer is equivalent to Pythagoras's theorem. She laughed at me. I then proved it to her by calculation. She still didn't believe me. Well nine months later we read in the newspaper, that some guy in the States after years of research and with a fat book full of calculations had arrived at the same answer. My daughter was bashful. There you have it, what took an mathematics Graduate two years to calculate, took me two hours to work out. Can you spot the difference?

#10214 10/29/05 02:11 PM
E
E
Quote:
if you go to countries like India and Pakistan (Where incidentally the first computer virus was actually invented) there are geniuses walking naked in the streets, some of these guys have IQs so high that they even seem stupid.
Can you, for example, calculate 9673x9673 without computer and paper?

es

#10215 10/29/05 02:12 PM
E
E

#10216 10/29/05 04:36 PM
P
P
Don't make me laugh, ofcourse I can, using logical ways of calculating such trivial amounts are easy to calculate. By the way, I worked with a guy from India, would could add millions in his head, and his IQ was onlt 128. When I go shopping for groceries with my wife, I always tell her exactly what the total of her groceries is, ofcourse because I am not under obligation sometimes I am a couple of pence out. Tee hee!

#10217 10/29/05 05:59 PM
E
E
Quote:
Don't make me laugh, ofcourse I can
Have you ever studied probability theory, or any higher Math at all?
Here is a little probability problem:
There is small bench that can accomodate two, overseeing a pond - in the park . Three ladies decided to come and sit there for 10 minutes, between 1pm and 2pm. They come there independently. What are the chances, that one of them will have to wait because bench is occupied by other two?

e smile s

#10218 10/29/05 10:15 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
One in 6^3

#10219 10/29/05 10:33 PM
E
E
Quote:
Originally posted by Amaranth Rose:
One in 6^3
Are there any other opinions?

#10220 10/30/05 12:28 AM
P
P
p = 1/216

#10221 10/30/05 01:16 AM
E
E
Quote:
p = 1/216
it is the same as 1 in 6^3

Ok, this is very low estimate.

The answer I come with is 16/216.

If one assumes that the ladies want to leave before 2pm, it is even higher, 13/125

So, did you study probability theory?

es

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.