Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RM Offline OP
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
R
Moderators, I have taken the liberty of copying all religious text from the IQ thread. Now you can delete them and move the IQ thread back to it's real place in this forum.

------------------------------------------------

Posted by Philege (Member # 64) on 24-12-2005 07:56 AM:

Blacknad.

I apologise for the foul remarks, please forgive me and I will try never to do it again. It was very unchristian of me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by DA Morgan (Member # 5) on 24-12-2005 03:44 PM:

"very unchristian" ... what a fascinating phrase.

Apparently intended to indicate that Jews, Buddhists, Muslims, Animists, and others are free of all civil constraints and can behave in as foul a manner as they wish? Hey they're all going to hell anyway so what the .....

The self-serving hypocrisy of self-proclaimed Christians never fails to amaze me. But what the hell ... just pray for forgiveness and you will be forgiven to misbehave again and again and again and again. What a wonderful world.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by extrasense (Member # 24) on 24-12-2005 03:58 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by DA Morgan:
"very unchristian" ... Apparently intended to indicate that Jews, Buddhists, Muslims, Animists, and others are free of all civil constraints and can behave in as foul a manner

You certainly are missing civil constraints, twisting Philege words.

I guess you are Jew-Animist

ES

Posted by Rob (Member # 354) on 26-12-2005 05:59 PM:

"Pot <=> Kettle <=> Black"

REP: Pot <=>/ Kettle <=>/ Black

Legend:
<= :is implied by
=> :implies
<=> : implies and is implied by

*any of the above followed by a / means does not...

[ December 26, 2005, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: Rob ]

Posted by Blacknad (Member # 352) on 27-12-2005 04:49 AM:

Philege,

No problems - thanks for the apology - especially when I was without grace as well.

I think you meant UnChristlike - He exemplifies the way in which we should relate to each other, (not exclusive to Christians) - my mocking of your IQ statements was hardly in line with that.

Regards,

Blacknad.

Posted by Lenore (Member # 496) on 29-12-2005 04:56 PM:

Hey, where can I sign up to take part in this experiment?!?

Posted by DA Morgan (Member # 5) on 30-12-2005 04:05 PM:

I make no claims that the invisible purple rhinoceros forgives anyone or anything.

But Christlike? Now there's another turn of a phrase. An entire church created to glovify the suffering of one man who had a really bad day.

But not nearly as painful as that experienced by the average cancer patient, day-after-day, for a period of years.

When the lazy self-aggrandizing [content deleted] wishes to make another appearance I'd like to suggest a real opportunity for suffering for him. How about bone cancer?

[ December 31, 2005, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: Amaranth Rose ]

Posted by Philege (Member # 64) on 30-12-2005 04:23 PM:

I make no claims that the invisible purple rhinoceros forgives anyone or anything.

But Christlike? Now there's another turn of a phrase. An entire church created to glovify the suffering of one man who had a really bad day.

But not nearly as painful as that experienced by the average cancer patient, day-after-day, for a period of years.

When the lazy self-aggrandizing [content deleted] wishes to make another appearance I'd like to suggest a real opportunity for suffering for him. How about bone cancer?

I warn you D A Morgan, remember what happens to those who blaspheme against the Holy Spirit, the Paraclete. Please do not offend us Christians by referring to our saviour in that way. May [content deleted] forgive you.

[ December 31, 2005, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: Amaranth Rose ]

Posted by extrasense (Member # 24) on 31-12-2005 03:06 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Philege:
remember what happens to those who blaspheme against the Holy Spirit

It can not be worse than what has had already happen to mr Morgan: he lost his mind and decency.

es

Posted by bradp (Member # 508) on 31-12-2005 08:16 AM:

Maybe Morgan is commenting from the frustration of experience. I am very sorry if that is the case. It would be silly to agree (with the obvious).
its obvious !!!!! Morgan 1 - Jesus 0

Posted by bradp (Member # 508) on 31-12-2005 08:22 AM:

Blaspheme, Blaspheyou, Blaspheverybody! (E.Izzard)

[ December 31, 2005, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: bradp ]

Posted by DA Morgan (Member # 5) on 31-12-2005 05:17 PM:

Dear Philege:

You really do need to get into contact with reality.

Your entity, according to your beliefs, killed every person on an entire planet save one family, many of those drowned innocent just born infants. Then for an encore slaughtered every male in an entire country, innocent as well as guilty. And then, to get its sick pleasure, it invented painful diseases like AIDS, malaria, leukemia, and bone cancer. Summing it all up in a book in which it boasts of its evil and sadistic behaviours.

What Philege would be the punishment we, as a civilized society, would visit upon one of our own that did such things? A trial at The Hague? Conviction? :ife in prison without possibility of parole or probation? I think so. Though personally, should we ever catch the deceitful genocidal maniac, I would not only suport the death penalty ... I would personally stand up and volunteer to carry it out.

So help me out here Philege ... in warning me ... are you throwing your lot in with the biggest master of sadism and genocide known to the entire universe? Seems that way to me.

Posted by Philege (Member # 64) on 31-12-2005 05:30 PM:

I warn you D A Morgan, remember what happens to those who blaspheme against the Holy Spirit, the Paraclete. Please do not offend us Christians by referring to our saviour in that way. May [content deleted] forgive you

Amaranth Rose, how come you deleted what I wrote, which was not offensive but you leave D.A. Morgans filthy swearing [content deleted]on the site. He is referring to Jesus, how can you allow this?

[ December 31, 2005, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: Amaranth Rose ]

Posted by Philege (Member # 64) on 31-12-2005 05:40 PM:

By the way do you give candy to your children when they disobey you (If you have any)

Posted by Philege (Member # 64) on 31-12-2005 05:41 PM:

Beware lest the [content deleted] allows the wicked one to consume you. You have been warned!

[ December 31, 2005, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: Amaranth Rose ]

Posted by Amaranth Rose (Member # 6) on 31-12-2005 07:31 PM:

To all forum netizens:
You have been warned before. Comments that are off topic will be deleted. Comments that contain certain alpha strings will be edited and/or deleted. If you wish to make comments on those matters there is ONE thread for all of that and this is not it.

You can cut out the threats and the namecalling too.

I will defend to the death your right to express yourselves WITHIN THE GUIDELINES OF THIS FORUM. NO EXCEPTIONS.

"Amaranth"

Posted by Rob (Member # 354) on 02-01-2006 06:30 AM:

Chris Maxwell,
Do you get as annoyed when people insult Sherlock Holmes, Ganesh, Homer Simpson, your intelligence?

[ January 02, 2006, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: Rob ]

Posted by DA Morgan (Member # 5) on 02-01-2006 02:28 PM:

Chris ... I'm not insulting anyone dead or alive. I am stating the truth ... and telling the truth is neither an insult nor a sin in any relgion or culture.

This is a science forum ... and now that you have been sufficiently baited ... as in any other game of poker ... I call.

Did the entity you believe in murder every living person on the planet with the exception of members of a single family ... including innocent new-born children ... Yes or No?

Did the entity you believe in murder every first born male in an entire country ... including innocent new-born children ... Yes or No?

Did the entity you believe in, as creator of the universe, also create bone cancer? How about childhood leukemia? How about AIDS? Malaria? ... Yes or No?

Hypocrites are welcome to expound at length about what is wrong with me. Those with integrity are welcome to attempt to justify the murder of new-born infants.

Commit genocide?
That you defend!
Point out that the emperor has no clothes?
Oooooh that is an insult indeed.

Posted by Hariharan (Member # 399) on 03-01-2006 10:17 AM:

Those with great IQ's have less concentration

Posted by DA Morgan (Member # 5) on 03-01-2006 12:39 PM:

I saw the movie the "Silence of the Lambs" ... what methinks we have here is the silence of the hypocrites.

Come on now Philege. Won't you stand up and defend the intentional, wanton, and senseless act of killing newborn children? Or the creation of every disease in the universe? Surely, as a true believer, you can do it. Don't be shy now ... surely it is your calling as defender of the faith.

Posted by mark5 (Member # 504) on 03-01-2006 02:09 PM:

DA,

At the risk of incurring your wrath, do you honestly believe you know what the truth is?

I have an excellent magnet on the refrigerator in my garage that says:

'Believe in those who seek the truth. Beware those who claim to have found it'

As an instructor of non-major Biology I have taught a general form of evolution for the past 5 years and only recently was questioned by a collegue (not associated with the particular community college) about my views on intelligent design.

At first I was vehemently against such a suggestion as it struck close to my athiestic leanings. But since I have cooled down I have had to ask myself if it is at all possible that ID was the way things happened. And I have concluded that it is unknown, just like the roots of evolution.

So, in my next set of lectures I imagine I will allude to ID as a possibility but not one that will be concentrated on in this class and leave it at that.

Also, even though I espouse athiestic beliefs, I know when the **** hits the fan, deep in my soul it is very hard not to reach out for some sort of helping hand (imagined or not).

In sum, I'm on your side of this discussion, but without the phlegm.

cheers,

mark

Posted by Philege (Member # 64) on 03-01-2006 03:44 PM:

I saw the movie the "Silence of the Lambs" ... what methinks we have here is the silence of the hypocrites.

Come on now Philege. Won't you stand up and defend the intentional, wanton, and senseless act of killing newborn children? Or the creation of every disease in the universe? Surely, as a true believer, you can do it. Don't be shy now ... surely it is your calling as defender of the faith.

Okay Mr. Morgan, I will defend the faith. What is the common denominator in both the events you write about. In both cases the people who incurred the wrath of the Almighty were warned again and again of the consequences of disobedience to the Word of God. They chose to defy Our Heavenly Father and received just punishment. This is the Creator we are speaking about. If you create something that becomes worthless to you what do you do. God created us for His purpose not for our own. Therefore if He wants us to do anything, I mean anything, we are obliged to do this. To understand why things are this way we must go back to the beginning. Man was under sentence of death due to Adam and Eve's disobedience, but God sought a way for us back to Him. The earth and everything in it was divorced from the heavenly realms due to Adam and Eve. Now to understand who causes the destruction and death on earth we must understand who is ruling the earth. Remember when satan took Jesus to the top of a High mountain and showed him all the kingdoms. He claimed that he would give all these to Jesus if He bowed down and worshipped him. Satan claimed that the earth was under his control. So now you can see who is the destroyer of men, giving God all the blame. But God will restore and can restore everything once the devil and his angels have had all their chance to prove they can rule this earth better than God. Then the day of Judgment will come, and those who have continually proved to be worthless will get their reward. Pharoah of Egypt chose to defy God, therefore he is to blame not God. If he had rightly let God's people go, nothing would have happened to him. He chose to kneel before stone idols and cry for help to them. No can you Mr. Morgan deny that when you do something wrong it affects you. If you deny that then you are a liar, inherently all men know deep inside what is wrong and what is right, and they know they have a choice, and they know that the choice has consequences, either favorable or not favorable. It is like the law of men. You know it is wrong to be a pedophile, or a thief or a murderer. If you commit these acts what do you expect to happen to you. It is no different with the Laws of God.

Posted by Philege (Member # 64) on 03-01-2006 03:50 PM:

As for disease, the health laws prescribed in the Bible have been proven to be the best for mankind. God told His people how to avoid disease and unhealthy living. Man has chose his way and again with obvious consequences. Read the law of Moses, and you will see that God put in place healthy practices to avoid disease.

Posted by Blacknad (Member # 352) on 03-01-2006 05:54 PM:

Thanks Amaranth.

Regards,

Blacknad.

[ January 04, 2006, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: Blacknad ]

Posted by protonbon (Member # 517) on 03-01-2006 07:01 PM:

Has it ever occurred to any of you that ID (intelligent design) could refer to design of human beings by a god or gods other than the Judeo-Christian god? There are many references in ancient writings to "gods" coming down from the sky.
The Great Pyramid at Giza looks exactly like a nuclear breeder reactor if the interior is studied closely. The ancient Egyptians could not have built it. We don't have the technology to build it today. So, could it have been engineered by "someone" from off planet? Someone that would have looked like "gods" to the ancient people? Someone who could have used the product of a nuclear breeder reactor?
I am an atheist, but I believe in the possibility of Intelligent Design.

Posted by Rob (Member # 354) on 04-01-2006 07:39 AM:

"I am an atheist, but I believe in the possibility of Intelligent Design."
...But to believe in ID as the origin of all life is preposterous -right?

[ January 04, 2006, 07:46 AM: Message edited by: Rob ]

Posted by mark5 (Member # 504) on 04-01-2006 09:18 AM:

Beliefs are not preposterous. But each set has fallacies, just as the belief system of SCIENCE has.

Anyone worth their salt will at least acknowledge the possibility of their belief system being off base for another individual.

But I don't think that is the point. In my opinion, as long as the belief system is working for that individual (without doing outright harm to others) then it is right for that person.

It is the act of believing that gives a lot of folks peace.

For myself, I believe that there are many things I will never understand, and coming to grips with the uncomfortable feeling of not having all the answers is a foundation for my athiesm.

I also think the word athiesm conjures up a lot of negative imagery involving evil. But not believing in gods includes not believing in a god of evil.

Although I disagree with almost everything Philege said previously, I do feel that nature drives the acts of man and he begins early to naturally assess right and wrong (and of course that changes over time and with circumstances).

I don't think the need and drive to survive has changed very much which, in my mind, results in some examples of the 'evil' we see.

regards,

mark

Posted by Justine (Member # 476) on 04-01-2006 10:50 AM:

[ January 04, 2006, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: Justine ]

Posted by protonbon (Member # 517) on 04-01-2006 02:24 PM:

The conventional, current Christian belief is that "God" created the entire Universe. This is pretty big order, and in my opinion, ridiculous. The Old Testament does not claim that "God" created the Universe, just Earth. That is possible.

Conventional Darwinism is that life originated on Earth and all life forms came into being by natural evolution. We do not know that. This Darwinism is as self centered as was the Roman Catholic Church in 1600 AD.

I held an absolute belief, for 40 years, that UFOs are impossible. I could argue the subject all day long. All of this came to an end in April, 2001, when astronomer Tom Van Flandern presented - in my mind - absolute proof of artificial structures on Mars. (Go to www.metaresearch.org). My belief and argument went into the waste basket.

I have not seen a UFO or had an encounter higher than the zeroth kind, but I must accept that UFOs are possible. Any reader, please tell me when in official human history did we go to Mars?

The possibility exists that we were "created" or designed or engineered by others. From our viewpoint they would appear to be gods. We could be a colony "seeded" for reasons not known to us.

Our history is truncated. Any reader, please show me official history records prior to about 4,000 BC.

Gregg Wilson

Posted by Philege (Member # 64) on 04-01-2006 05:46 PM:

Although I disagree with almost everything Philege said previously, I do feel that nature drives the acts of man and he begins early to naturally assess right and wrong (and of course that changes over time and with circumstances).

Mark5 Please eleaborate why?

Posted by Philege (Member # 64) on 04-01-2006 05:48 PM:

The conventional, current Christian belief is that "God" created the entire Universe. This is pretty big order, and in my opinion, ridiculous. The Old Testament does not claim that "God" created the Universe, just Earth. That is possible

Gregg Wilson

I beg your pardon! The old Testament in Psalms tell us that God created all the stars in the sky and can name them one by one. Read and see for yourself.

Posted by Philege (Member # 64) on 04-01-2006 05:58 PM:

I held an absolute belief, for 40 years, that UFOs are impossible. I could argue the subject all day long. All of this came to an end in April, 2001, when astronomer Tom Van Flandern presented - in my mind - absolute proof of artificial structures on Mars. (Go to www.metaresearch.org). My belief and argument went into the waste basket.

I have not seen a UFO or had an encounter higher than the zeroth kind, but I must accept that UFOs are possible. Any reader, please tell me when in official human history did we go to Mars?

I have had encounters with aliens, and yet I still believe in God. Because even aliens were created by Him. If you read one of my earlier postings where there was a discussion on aliens I gave details about these encounters. In ancient times people mistook these for what we refer today to as angels. All other planets and habitations in the universe are in the spiritual realm of heaven. The earth has been removed from this realm and isolated till the end of time. Mars appears to us to be uninhabited, but on another dimension it is a vibrant planet full of life and much mor advanced than us. They live in accordance with the Laws of God and enjoy perfect harmony in Gods order of things. Read Jesus parable about Lazarus. When the wicked man was burning in Hell he asked Abraham if he could allow him to visit his relatives alive on earth to warn them that hell does exist. Abraham told him that there is a gulf between Heaven and the earth which cannot be breached.

Posted by protonbon (Member # 517) on 04-01-2006 06:04 PM:

Wow! You have met aliens from other planets? My life is soooo.... boring.

Gregg Wilson

Posted by Philege (Member # 64) on 04-01-2006 06:05 PM:

In the 1970s a man who used to work for NASA claimed he had a video tape of astronauts exploring Mars and that they found a primitive life form on Mar which burrowed underground. The mad was ridiculed by NASA. Unfortunately I don;t remeber any further details.

Posted by Philege (Member # 64) on 04-01-2006 06:07 PM:

Wow! You have met aliens from other planets? My life is soooo.... boring.

Gregg Wilson

Certainly I can give you details of these encounters if you want.

Posted by protonbon (Member # 517) on 04-01-2006 07:24 PM:

Testimony is not evidence. The scientific axiom is proof positive. Wait. I forgot...the is the religious forum...

Gregg Wilson

Posted by mark5 (Member # 504) on 05-01-2006 10:06 AM:

Philege,

There were two parts to my previous post: I disagree... & right vs wrong early. Which one did you want to discuss?

mark

ps Justine, thank you for your (edited?) comment.

Posted by Justine (Member # 476) on 06-01-2006 10:58 AM:

Mark,

Sorry, that was a weird day for me. I posted something about how becoming comfortable with uncertainty would be the true path to serenity. . . but, when I tried it myself, my ego started to disintegrate...not a serene experience at all.

Posted by TheFallibleFiend (Member # 181) on 06-01-2006 11:11 AM:

" The scientific axiom is proof positive. "
No it isn't.

Posted by protonbon (Member # 517) on 06-01-2006 12:40 PM:

TheFallibleFiend:

Okay. Let's have it your way. I say that there is a crater on the backside of the Moon and it is filled up with 75 Cadillac convertibles. That is the Truth. Jesus told me so. Now prove me wrong.

Gregg Wilson

Posted by Rob (Member # 354) on 06-01-2006 01:10 PM:

WARNING! ANYONE WHO HAS NOT SEEN VANILLA SKY SHOULD NOT READ THIS POST BECAUSE IT REVEALS THE ENDING. OR COVER UP THE MARKED AREA.

Protobon,
you're just copying dkv now. I say you are an idiot! Prove ME wrong.

It's impossible - because I may be an idiot myself, therefore any logical proof you give me I may ignore. Then you have all these definitions, ambiguities and misunderstandings to deal with... And finally,

STOP HERE!

there is always the possibility of a vanilla sky type situation in which nothing can be said to be truly real.

CONTINUE HERE:

Maths has limitations too. My maths with mechanics lecturer says that the statistics lecturers still argue over un-resolved methods of calculating certain things (I may have got the wrong end of the stick, if I have, please correct me)

My point: you can't give 100% proof of something being true or false. All you can do is weigh out the evidence for and against it, and BE LOGICAL in your final decision.

[ January 06, 2006, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: Rob ]

Posted by protonbon (Member # 517) on 06-01-2006 02:15 PM:

This thread has degenerated to gibberish. Goodbye.

Posted by Rob (Member # 354) on 06-01-2006 03:49 PM:

Call it gibberish - If you can't admit it's true.

R
RM Offline OP
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
R
If you are all too lazy to do this, make ME a moderator and I'll do it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is your point in all this?

Amaranth

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Perhaps that another lab rats wants a cleaner cage.

If is, perhaps, time to reconsider the request for pithy comments and redefine the place as one where people engage in thoughtful and intelligent discussion and provide references for their statements in honor of the scientific method.

Which, methinks, might mean the moderators would need to exercise judgement and a sharp axe. Science is NOT a collection of keywords strung together with faith-based glue.

Should you so decide the quality of what I post will change dramatically.

DA Morgan
R
RM Offline OP
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
R
"What is your point in all this?"

I just couldn't believe that you moderators were at the mercy of these religious nutters that are polluting the site. Make me a moderator and I'll sort them out. Don't worry, I won't go nuts and delete everything they post, I'll just 'keep them in line' and make sure that you never again have to move topics to wrong locations. I'm not challenging your ability as a moderator, I just don't like anarchy.

B
Superstar
Superstar
B
Rob's threads:

Fake moon landing.
The meaning of life.
Would an atheist world be a better one?
Genisis is NOT possible.
Who created 'god' then?
What the heck, why don't we all just die?

On the basis that these threads have invited a large amount of the religious comment or non-science that Rob wants to moderate, I can hardly second his aspiration to become a moderator.

As a religious nutter, apart from one ill concieved thread, I have been careful to limit my posts to only answering objections to religion made by others, (and there has been no shortage).

I would not like to be 'kept in line' by Rob - who's zeal for insulting the religious easily out strips my zeal for defending my beliefs.

Blacknad.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
One of the reasons for having a separate forum for all this religious stuff is to keep them out of the pure Science forum. If you don't want to deal with it stay in the pure Science forum. This way everyone gets their say without having to offend anyone.

In other words, if you don't like what's posted here, stay on the other side.

Amaranth

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
I see no more work with a sharp blade on the other side than I do here.

And threads that started as pure science have been moved over here because moderators didn't.

Start a pure science thread on evolution on the other side ... it gets polluted ... you move it here. That gives all of the power to the faith-based moron crowd to debase the site. I think you and Kate should rethink things a bit.

DA Morgan
R
RM Offline OP
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
R
No no no! You all misunderstand me! I understand that the origins board is for posts of a "religious or philosophical nature" and I like the origins board, I think it's fun. But when these religious posts spill over to the other side and in turn force the moderators to move topics to places where they clearly don't belong that I feel something should be done. As far as I can see, none of you moderators are doing anything about this atrocity. Soon you will be overpowered by these senseless idiots who's answers to posts on the science side that mock irrationality are "GOD WILL PUNISH YOU ALL!"
Make me a moderator, I will do this for you. I will be saving you work, and time.
I have no intention of touching the origins forum, Blacknad, I won't become a power-crazed maniac that immediately deletes a post if it even hints at God. In fact, all I want is for the balance of power to stay on the side of the moderators. Make me one of you and I can help you maintain your control over this site.

Blacknad, you imply I am a hypocrite, I am not, all those so called 'religious' posts were posted in the right place, with the exception maybe of Fake Moon Landing which should be moved to the Meta discussion board -which I am starting to believe will never materialise. 'Keep in line' was the wrong coice of words. Let me give you one example of what I would delete on the science board; "You are all stupid! Only God can know that!"

B
Superstar
Superstar
B
Rob,

I misunderstood you, and find I agree with you. All posts in the science forum that refer to philosophy or religion should simply be deleted.

Blacknad.

P
P
If you are all too lazy to do this, make ME a moderator and I'll do it.

Rob, you sound like a constipated parrot, whose so tired of trying to **** that it has lost all reasoning. If there is anyone who needs moderating its your foul atheistic remarks which are poluting our forum. The moderators are not lazy but kind, because they should have treated your constipation by snipping the rot thats blocking your efforts!

R
RM Offline OP
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
R
Blacknad,
I forgot to mention that I do not consider you to be one of the religious nutters. If any of these fools like Philege could justify their beliefs like you do, instead of ranting on about nonsense with no proof or explanation of anything that they ever say, I wouldn't be asking for this position as a moderator. Considering the moving of the scientific topic (IQ...) to a non scientific section I'd set the current scores at;

Nutters: 1
Moderators: 0

This is unacceptable!
Is there anyone else opposed to me becoming a moderator?

B
Superstar
Superstar
B
Sorry I originally posted this in another thread, but it should be here really.

I think part of the problem may be the definition of what can be discussed on the science board.

'This is the place to leave pithy comments and share your scientific insights with the rest of the great unwashed readership. Play nice, stick to science and science related topics.'

A tighter definition of what constitutes an acceptable thread may be in order.

'science and science related topics'.

What doesn't that cover?

Dic.com's definition of science:

1. The observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation of phenomena.
a. Such activities restricted to a class of natural phenomena.
b. Such activities applied to an object of inquiry or study.

2. Methodological activity, discipline, or study: I've got packing a suitcase down to a science.

3. An activity that appears to require study and method: the science of purchasing.

4. Knowledge, especially that gained through experience.

The problem here is that almost anything can fit in there somewhere.

It may be better to limit threads to subjects on what we would call hard science. As in DA Morgan's yard stick of the kind of science that has been peer reviewed, and posts must be supported where possible by references to experiments etc.

Another board could deal with Popular Science.

Another with Origens and the Science/Religion debate (which is more of a philosophical discipline - if I can be so grand).

Another could deal with Meta-science & Quackery.

You could even go to the extent of having a social sciences board - (even if it?s not science as far as I am concerned) - a psychology board - evolution etc.

Then everyone would find a home and people would hopefully exist in SAGG a little more harmoniously.

So in effect we almost have an hierarchy from 'science proper' down to 'crackpot science'.

When a post threatens to take a thread down a level, either delete it or use it to start a new thread in the appropriate board.

All posts that add no value, and merely insult people should have no place here and should be deleted. People should join politics if they want that sort of entertainment.

As I post the occasional funny comment - and despite the fact that I am generally the only one who thinks it's funny (along the same lines as Cansouth probably sees the sense in what he writes), humorous posts should be okay - they are light relief and when in the spirit of the topic, don't really detract from what is being discussed. And like many of you, I have come to have a strange regard for many people here and some of the harmless off-beat comments and interactions are of great value to me.

I wonder if this is all too much work for the moderators - probably.

Then why not make new moderators - Board Champions. For example, make DA a moderator on the hard science board if he has time. If Rob wants to moderate the popular science board, no problem.

I have said it before that I love SAGG. I am so glad I found it, there are some excellent people here with a lot of knowledge to share ? and not forgetting that it?s just good to connect with people.

Please let's protect it from the trolls, and don?t let them ruin it for others.

Blacknad.

R
RM Offline OP
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
R
Blacknad,
You would make a good moderator too. I support your suggestion for having 'Board Champions'.

B
Superstar
Superstar
B
Cheers Rob.

and...

"You could even go to the extent of having a social sciences board - (even if it?s not science as far as I am concerned) - a psychology board - evolution etc."

- The 'not science' referred to psychology & social science - not evolution. I just meant a variety of one subject boards.

Blacknad.

B
Superstar
Superstar
B
...And Creation 'Science' and ID would find a home in the 'meta-science & quackery' board.

Blacknad.

C
C
Cheers Rob.

and...

"You could even go to the extent of having a social sciences board - (even if it?s not science as far as I am concerned) - a psychology board - evolution etc."

- The 'not science' referred to psychology & social science - not evolution. I just meant a variety of one subject boards.

Blacknad.

Nice going Blacknad, you might be able to to reach Rob's bottomless pit.

R
RM Offline OP
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
R
Why is it that all the idiots of this site do not understand the concept of quotation marks?

Blacknad,
It's good to dream but I'm starting to believe that that is as far as things will go. If you wan't things to happen, don't talk about them, ask for them. Moderators, are you there? This isn't just people fantasising you know.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm here, and I'm listening, but the one who needs to be addressed is Kate. Why don't you PM her with a proposal? How about a name like Psuedo-Science-a-go-go? In the meantime I'll bring it to her attention. Gosh, there's no pleasing some people! wink

Amaranth

B
Superstar
Superstar
B
I would just like to thank the moderators for listening to the Great Unwashed.

I think the new structure of SAGG is excellent. This should be pleasing to all.

"Gosh, there's no pleasing some people!"

Amaranth, for once you're wrong smile

Thanks.

'This is the place where too little scientific rigor is more than enough.'

- LOL.

Blacknad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.