RicS. A very long but well reasoned diatribe. I agree with most, if not all, of what you said. My ancestry is a combination of Scot and Irish after all.

Mike made an interesting observation earlier when he said "Since its always the richer of the two sides that always builds these separation walls, one should properly address the builders, as to the reasons why." This is possibly not true of the Berlin wall but maybe the wealthy East germans wished to protect their status.

I'm perhaps sorry for bringing up the subject of Indigenous Americans. However I think it has provoked some thoughtful comments. We seem to all agree that wrongs were committed in the past. In a previous post I asked:

'But if we see the same wrongs being committed today should we just sit back and say "let evolution do as evolution does"?'

Admitted we cannot alter the past but there are expansionist regimes at present committing much the same crimes against humanity as colonial powers committed in years past. What should we do about this?