Hi guys,

I am aware of muon catalysed fusion and that it is relatively cold. This sort of reaction has in fact been demonstrated. See, for example, the article in Nature:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v321/n6066/abs/321127a0.html

Nature is as carefully reviewed a journal as there is.

When I checked the above mentioned web site I could find nothing of this sort. I specifically looked under the section "For Science Professionals". There are two papers quoted that are said to be from peer reviewed journals. The links to these are labeled:

1) Gozzi, D., et al., "X-ray, Heat Excess and 4He in the D:Pd System," Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry 452, (1998)

2) Arata, Y., "The Formation of ``Solid Deuterium'' Solidified Inside Crystal Lattice and Intense Solid-State Nuclear Fusion ("Cold Fusion'',)" Il Nuovo Saggiatore, Vol. 20, 2004, No.5-6, p. 66

The first of these leads to a paper in Italian. It has a nice picture of Jean-Baptiste Lamark (1744-1829). If memory serves this fellow had some interesting ideas on heredity. Since I don't read that language I refrain from further comment.

The second is in English and seems to be the one referred to by the first link. (Is this is a bit confusing?) The main concern seems to be about the calorimetry of the effect and some unaccounted for x-rays. The heat was never in dispute. The authors, in the concluding section (5), indicate that more work needed to be done on the bit about x-rays. The paper is date 1997 and I cannot find any follow-on.

Well, what can I say? All I'm trying to do is read-up on the subject and I get a run-around. Seems like a dry hole.

Dr. R.