dr rocket:

Thank you for the link on cosmology. I list a little:

"10. DOPPLER RED SHIFT?
Inconsistencies regarding the current interpretation of observed red shift present many problems to Big Bang Theory. Many of those have to do with the distant massive bodies that are called quasars.
As presently utilized, red shift data results in the perception of extremely great masses and brilliances of quasars. Variations in the level of radiation from these sources (27,42) require their size to be extremely small and their densities to be extremely great. These extreme characteristics suggest that the present interpretation of red shift data as Doppler shift doesn't tell the whole story about the speed and distance of remote massive bodies in space.

Red shift data as presently used also shows quasars to be "clumped" at great distances (great relative velocities). According to Big Bang Theory that would require the formation of large numbers of quasars too soon after the Big Bang. That interpretation of red shift data also results in the anomaly of quasars at various distances, and thus of various ages, that are observed to have similar electromagnetic spectrums.
But perhaps even in greater conflict with Big Bang Theory, the clumping of distant quasars in all directions would appear to put us at the center of the universe. That situation, known as the Copernican Problem, is in direct conflict with the basic Big Bang Theory tenet of smoothness; that is, isotropy and homogeneity.
Dependence on Doppler red shift for the determination of velocity and distance also results in the perception of an unreasonably large number of distant quasars having associated superluminal flares. (32,43) Some simple mathematics can show that, if the perceived distance of those quasars was less, fewer of such flares would be indicated. (Also, mathematical investigation of the velocity relationships between quasars perceived to be at great distances and their perceived superluminal flares, has provided unintelligible results.)"

I was aware of some continuing disagreements with the specifics of the Big Bang ideas but every time I get into it I feel that the theory of Hubble on speed of the expanding universe seems to be to be at the root of the issue.

Note my post on the "not quite science forum".

There should be a means to test the alleged doppler effect on light here at home. I know that the light we get from stars is a lot different from the light we get reflected from planets or non-star but it is also true that astronomers get a lot of data about the clouds and such in the spectrums of the reflected light from planets. My thought is that due to our orbital relationship to nearby planets we could simulate an object traveling toward us when we are overtaking Venus and leaving us when we have actually pass by Venus. This could also be tested on the reflected light of Mars and from Jupiter. With the slower orbiting objects like Mars and Jupiter we would read the result of our catching up with them as the reverse of their approaching us.

My thought is that the spectrograph may shed some "light" on whether there are red shifts involved with the light we check for any form of shifting as we see in the distant stars. They talk about the chemical spectrograph found but I found no comment on any speed shifting of the spectrums. I am not versed in spectrograph technology and that ignorance may doom my question at the outset?

jjw