Superman: "Pasti, I have to disagree. TV commercials ARE regulated as to what kind and how many can be shown during any given show. More commercials for syndicated shows (less actual show-time), and less for original programming. In fact, some shows have even been viewed recently on major TV stations virtually commercial free (sponsored by one entity and VERY expensive to accomplish)"

I am aware that they are regulated. But I was refering to them in the context of spam. And with all the regulations, I still do not have the option to turn off advertising on my TV at my own will. Sure, I can subscribe to channels where there are no commercials, for a stiffer price, but that does not solve the problem I am talking about.
I am aware of the argument that commercials in fact mean lower prices for subscribers, but such arguments circumvent the roots of the issue. Ads are the necessay evil so to speak, for anyone who would like to watch TV, even if one doesn't really want to have those ads.

So why would one think that internet spam will be regulated any different, say according to the wishes of all those who would like to have NO SPAM WHATSOEVER in their mailbox. Think about the public computer stations in Malaysia.