"At university you are educating students to become researchers."

1. He didn't say he was teaching to university students. I didn't think professors took or even cared about educating. My best guess is that he's directed at HS students.

2. Not every college student is going to become a researcher. In fact, it's a pretty small number of them.

"If they don't learn to learn by themselves, they will not learn to do research a few years later when they start to do their Ph.D. and later when they do Post Doc research."

The real thing is this: Many professors are ungodly lazy and some aren't too clear on the subjects themselves - since they've got graduate students to do their work for them.

Even when I taught at uni, I figured that I had a duty to give the students more than they'd get from the book. I assigned reading from the book, but I also gave actual lectures that explained things. I gave my own problems that were generally much harder than the ones in the book.

What you propose is what the very laziest graduate school professors do. I don't even think it's appropriate there - but it's absolutely inappropriate in HS.