A common response to the OP from those who are scientifically inclined is simply to dismiss it because "nothing massive can travel at c", so it's an impossible scenario. An interesting factor is that there may be many more reasion why it could not happen. You have touched on some of the snags, and my reason for raising the topic was to point to another.

The remaining two scenarios were as follows:

(2) Astronaut acts as in (1).

Observer A makes her observation when the light is half way from back to front. She would see it “frozen” in that position.

(3) Astronaut acts as in (1).

Observer A makes her observation as in (1). She leaves her instrument on, so sees no light.

Observer B starts her observation at the same point as A, but has her instrument programmed to turn off and on again such that it comes on again when the light is half way from back to front. She sees, first, no light, then the “frozen” beam.

Question: In the RF of an observer, does the light move only when it is not being observed?

To me, this seems like “fantasy physics”. The conclusion seems inconsistent with reality as we observe it. I know that does not necessarily mean it cannot happen, our intuition is often a poor guide. I wondered what others thought.

There never was nothing.