Originally Posted By: Marchimedes
So, Orac, you really gonna sit there in your Mother's basement typing with one hand and say there is zero science in this thread? Go google the physics of the lever, for starters.

Scientists only deal with the discovery they don't deal with the application that is what an ENGINEER does. That is why a scientist would never have invented a boat,plane,train or car.

Originally Posted By: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineer
An engineer is a practitioner of engineering, concerned with applying scientific knowledge, mathematics, and ingenuity to develop solutions for technical, societal and commercial problems.

So on a science forum you are generally dealing with trying to understand things or challenge science. On an engineering forum you would be generally dealing with how to implement.

Handyman I guess we best describe as layman engineers, they are trying to implement things without a formal qualification but using lots of experience. I believe that describes you.

So depending on what you are asking about a lever problem it would depend which forum is best for it. If you are asking what is the best way to use levers etc then it's an engineering forum a scientist can't help you. If you were trying to challenge or understand how a lever works, you would go to a science forum.

So I don't believe you are challenging or need me to explain how a lever works, you know all that. So there isn't much I or any other scientist is going to be able to help you with. What you seem to be asking is whats the best way to implement things and that is an engineering question. An engineer can help you and will be interested and scientist will go who cares and walk away.

It isn't about whether there is science in a lever, more is the question being asked science or engineering?

I am not saying what you are asking is wrong or bad, I think you are on the wrong forum. That is I am actually trying to help you, but getting insulted in the process. My thinking is you want an engineer not a scientist. You curveballed me at the start because you seemed interested in the history and archaeology but you since refined what you want to your TWIWDI theory.

On an engineering forum they will discuss levers in ways that we never would on a science forum and I think that is what you seem to be after. Sort of confirmed by your having discussions with Wally Wallington.

Machemdedes, for all Paul's interest in this subject his contribution to whatever you seem to be after appears to be about zero. About all he seems to be contributing lately is smartazz comments which noone even bothers with or complaining science is evil/bad because it killed my god, sob sob. On most things you two are completely at odds, the Egyptians have wheel, rope, lasers ... I lost track. I don't see that anyone here seems to be helping your discussion and I certainly have lost interest in it now I understand what you want to discuss. Bill G knows better and has run away.

So lets make this real simple, why do you want a Scientist to discuss this not an Engineer?
The extension question to that is, on this forum how can we help you?

Last edited by Orac; 02/04/16 08:57 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.