Quote:
In one of the crypts there is a granite box with a broken corner, and this box is accessible by means of steps down to the lower floor. The outside of the box appears to be roughly finished, but the glint of a high polish on the inside surfaces beckoned me to climb inside. Running my hand along the surface of the granite reminded me of the thousands of times I have run my hand along a granite surface plate when I was working as a machinist and later as a tool and die maker. The feel of the stone was no different, though I was not sure of its flatness or accuracy. To check my impression, I placed the edge of my precision-ground parallel against the surface—and I saw that it was dead flat. There was no light showing through the interface of the steel and the stone, as there would be if the surface was concave, and the steel did not rock back and forth, as it would if the surface was convex. To put it mildly, I was astounded. I did not expect to find such exactitude, because this order of precision is not necessary for the sarcophagus of a bull—or any other animal or human.

There is an old and well established method of making flat surfaces. You take 3 items and start rubbing them against each other with some kind of grinding compound. If you are careful you can achieve a very flat surface. You need 3 because if you use just 2 you will wind up with one concave and one convex surface. By switching the among 3 items you can make sure that the concave/convex surfaces are worn out by working them against each other.

Nothing that is extremely difficult or beyond the Egyptian technology. I suggest you try reading "The Ancient Engineers" by L. Sprague de Camp if you can find a copy. It explains a number of things that some consider "impossible" for the people at that time.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.