You could be in trouble Paul the physics rumour mill has gone into over-drive that LIGO has seen another event. That would be about right as it was predicted it would see roughly one event a month. A release date of February 11th has been suggested for the first event and the rumour still persists that it is indeed a two black hole merger.

So if announced as indicated how do you intend to deal with it?

For science the result would not be on the same scale as say the Higgs discovery as the gravity waves have already been already largely detected by indirect means. Really all it does is put numbers to the direct measured behaviour of the waves which will help with full theories of gravity.

For crackpots, anti-relativity and anti-Einstein crowd however they will be looking for the excuses smile

Krauss has taken some blowback for his first up rumor-mongering with most complaining he is damaging scientific credibility by undermining the blind injection process. As I suspected no one in the analysis team knows if the event is a test or not, so his tweet that it wasn't a test is complete BS.

Last edited by Orac; 01/21/16 11:41 PM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.