Originally Posted By: paul

yes , their equipment remains in the transport vehicles.
preferably helicopters while they are on standby for
immediate deployment not 5 minutes.

And where are the troops? Even if they are in a nearby ready room I doubt if they can get the people on board and the rotors spinning in less than 15 minutes. Then there is transit time. That will vary from 15 minutes to a half an hour.
Originally Posted By: Paul
the cost would be a matter of states requesting
military surplus because this would save the
federal government the cost of demolishing the
equipment we currently have waiting to be demolished.

for instance the 16 billion dollars of ammo alone
that the DOD is to have demolished at a cost of
1 billion dollars.

Don't forget the costs of maintaining the troops. I figure a conservative estimate of say $100,000 per year for training and equipping each person. And I think that is probably extremely conservative. With a cadre of say 30 troops per station (a minimum of 6 per shift 3 shifts + backups) that right there is at least $300,000 per station.

Then there is the cost of maintaining the equipment. Even if they get it free as surplus equipment the maintenance costs are very high, particularly for the helicopters. And on top of that the equipment is surplus. There is usually a reason that it is surplus. That is frequently because it is obsolete, and therefore even harder to maintain. I figure that a conservative estimate is at least $1,000,000 per station. Good luck getting a state legislature to spend that much in addition to their already strained law enforcement budget.

And as regards the military ammunition, that is generally destroyed because it is over age. So you want these troops to go into a possible battle using overage and possibly hazardous ammunition.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.