Originally Posted By: paul
in other words people who live a life of fantasy shouldn't question or poke fun at anything that others believe in.

I wasn't poking fun at it, but some obviously do and hence the sensitivity around it and I get that. I simply asked the question because of the way you were addressing the issues.

If your faith demands you believe certain things, that is fine just don't beat around and pretend you are even free to consider the alternatives.

I had the same issue when Rev K wanted to treat GOD scientifically. Fine then either tell GOD to show up so I can test him, and if you can't do that I will assume GOD doesn't exist and test the landscape. Rev K doesn't have the power to do the first, and the later is forbidden, so his request was illogical. Science can't discuss something you aren't free to consider all the options so I can't scientifically look at GOD with Rev K.

The bible itself could never have used the word dinosaur or even a translation of it, as the word was created by Sir Richard Owen in 1842. It means terrible lizzard or reptile and is a modern created word and in theory created long after the bible was written.

If you want to try and start creating situations like your egg, Bill G has already given you the problem that opens up, that the bible is therefore not accurate or omits things. My strong suggestion is to not go there and close the discussion on this as you are never going to be happy with that discussion.

For my part I am very straight down the line in what I believe and why. I really don't care what you or indeed every layman on the planet make of it, you are layman. Science doesn't vote on popularity, it's entire aim is to be useful and predictive and that is all it cares about. You are welcome not believe in science or write your own. Science just ignores you because we don't have to prove we are right, we just need to be more useful and predictive than your version and civilization makes the choice for us.

That is the bit you never get, science is not a system that requires people to believe like religion smile

Last edited by Orac; 11/25/15 07:09 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.