Originally Posted By: Dave Proffitt
By this I mean the mathematical singularity in the Schwarzschild metric - what is described in Gravitation (Misner, Thorne, Wheeler) as "the Schwarzschild singularity". As this seems to have caused confusion, I will change my use on the website to their usage.

I wondered if that is what you meant and then I have a huge issue with your use of it.

The Schwarzschild metric is a solution of Einstein's field equations in empty space, and is valid only OUTSIDE the gravitating body. We can put more constraints that it is also only useful approximation for the outside of slowly rotating black holes. You can not take any of this detail inside the black hole where it is totally meaningless.

Extending the Schwarzschild metric inside the black hole are interesting and I want you to do the reading. Prepare for a shock smile

If you need a start point you have it on your website under Kruskal-Szekeres coordinates which is the extended solution.

You do the same thing with Birkhoff’s theorem you fail to realize it is an exterior solution even with it highlighted red in wikipedia. You can't use it when any part under discussion isn't on the exterior.

Originally Posted By: Dave Proffitt
In this I am following a well-trodden path followed by every graduate text on black holes that I have come across. In fact I would have thought the commonest approach in all theoretical physics.

You are taking a path very different to the usual student in that your website professes to give answers, and those answers are silly like naive layman answers can be.

I loved the slamming into a rotating Born rigidity solid at the event horizon ... which is doubly impossible and gave me a morning laugh. I know of no textbook that would ever propose that ridiculous idea, that is layman crazy at it's best smile

You need to tread the usual path of what you can rely on in different circumstances and why.

Dave I have opened an account on your site and will talk to you there in a more direct manner.

Last edited by Orac; 08/21/15 08:56 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.