Originally Posted By: Orac

1.) So if reality is a story what does it mean to be alive?

I think that would depend on who you ask. What's it mean to you? Do you make a determination via your own thoughts, or do you take the position of someone you give authority to?

2.) Who defines the state of being alive GOD or a process?
Is there a difference between God and process? Did you have a definition of God that you wanted specifically driven into the boundaries of the question?

3.) Is the reality defined for you or does GOD or something/someone make the reality?

Yes wink Oh.. did we define God yet?

4.) What is the purpose of the reality and it's cosplay.

Again it would depend on who you ask. For one thing, everyone sees the world and defines reality thru their own unique nervous system regardless of any similarities and democratic determinations. So the question could be generally asked of any group of people in any social atmosphere or specifically to any one individual within their experience of life and their belief system, whether it be philosophically derived, or thru experience and study.

In my interest area of science I get asked those 4 questions in very different ways. The askers don't realize what they are asking but they boil down to the same things smile

Don't be hard on Bill G he kicks and screams but he gets there in the end if you can get him to really think. Take solace in the fact you were not the one trying to explain that there are infinite numbers 1 unit away from any coordinate on a 2D axis system that uses real numbers, and hence infinite ways to count +1 on that system, when he had it set in his head it's not so ... what a mission.

I was going to give him the second version we usually give to kids as a bit of fun and make a point about infinities but didn't have the strength at the end .... for humour as you will get it instantly (and probably the why) it goes like this

Quote:
There are an infinite number of fractions and irrationals between zero and 1. There are also infinite number of fractions and irrationals between zero and 2. Since two is greater than one, then the infinity between 0 and 2 must be greater than the infinity between 0 and 1 is that correct? It's actually the mathematical equivalent of the question above and something you hope with intelligence they can figure out smile
I'm not a mathematician but, the idea of infinity should be considered prior to the question. I would see it as a an abstract potential, without boundaries..
Unless you decide it isn't, once you've put your own ideas in place another would actually have to meet you where you are at, to answer the question to your satisfaction.

If I were to determine infinity to be infinity regardless of any circumstances then there is no difference between the idea of 0 and 1 or 0 and 2. An infinite number is an infinite number without any limits to their possibilities. The only difference is in the question when suggesting the theoretical reference points of 0,1&2 as a known.
I would also suggest that if there is an infinite number of whatever between these reference points that neither is greater than another, but simply different. Only when thinking in an ascending thought pattern thru numbers would 2 be further up the ladder but when descending and having 0 as the end result or goal does 0 become the future and the number two become the past.
I realize this wouldn't probably float a mathematicians boat. When adding numbers and determining value by amount it probably won't work. whistle Ah well....

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!