Over the past few years there have been reports of plant and animal species moving northwards (in the Northern Hemisphere), allegedly, in response to rising temperatures.

Unsurprisingly, it is the “monsters” that hit the news. Most recently, the green fanged spider (Segestria florentina), the Australian red backed spider (Latrodectus hasseltii) and the false widow (Steatoda nobilis) have claimed the headlines; as has the tiger mosquito (Aedes albopictus).

Our son has a considerable knowledge of spiders and has confirmed a number of hinds of S nobilis, including one in his bed.

Among the other northward moving species are the Spanish bluebell (Hyacinthoides hispanica) and the harlequin ladybird (Harmonia axeridis), which I have been trying, with limited success, to photograph. I was a bit more successful with photographing the western conifer seed bug (Leptoglossus occidentalis) which I found in the house some time ago. Of course, these relatively harmless species are by no means as newsworthy.

It would be interesting to know if anyone else has examples of northward (or southward in the Southern Hemisphere) moving animals and plants.

There never was nothing.