She is fence sitting a bit like me and not going either way smile

I am willing to pick a side when LIGO reports it has detected a gravity wave which is the most likely result that is going to turn up in the near future.

If it doesn't detect a wave then I think it means the black hole situation is a lot more murkier than considered so far. For Bill, I don't think GR is under any danger in that situation it is holding far too well over a really large range but I think the GR dominant energy version black hole story goes up in smoke as there would have to be other important energy transfers involved and hence no wave.

I should also add the release of papers last week showing direct measurement of time dilation on ions at 71% the speed of light pretty much any theory that does not allow time dilation is dead in the water which I think includes most of the fringe alternatives to GR.

What I see is a situation very similar to when QM was considered to only happen at really small scales and people thought GR and QM would somehow collide down at some small scale. When macroscopic entanglement and QM effects were clearly shown, GR didn't become invalid things just got more interesting and we realized the two effects are present together at every scale.

I strongly suspect that there is the same possibility around black holes because a lot of the cosmological stuff right now is coming in at odds with hard lab based measurements.

Last edited by Orac; 10/08/14 08:17 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.