GOD--this acronym in this thread is not to be confused with the proper noun, 'God', which is used to translate the Hebrew ELOHIM of Genesis 1:1. Confusingly, in Genesis 2:4b, the Hebrew is ADONAY(Lord)YAHWEH--the translation is 'Lord God'.

The 'God' of the Bible and the monotheist religions is offered to all as the One True God. As a child (born in 1930) and a youth I was taught to believe in God as God the Father Almighty of all human kind and the creator of all things.

As a teenager (1943-1949), when I asked my minister, who made God? He said: We must, without evidence, other than creation, simply believe, God is.

Later, as student for the ministry (1947-1953), and a young adult, I developed the opinion that this idea of 'god' is TOO small for me.

ATHEISTS AND AGNOSTICS
This is why all atheists say that, faith alone is invalid. Unless there is provable evidence, we reject the 'god' of theism. For the same reason, He is doubted by agnostics.

In this thread, the acronym GOD stands for the Gift Of Discernment. Being willing to receive this gift will help anyone to be god-like human beings. BTW, SCIENCE without GOD--the gift of discernment, there would be no GOD--this acronym in this thread is not to be confused with the Biblical 'God' of monotheism, who is the so-called supernatural being believed in by most devout theists and rejected by atheists--[u]which stands for the Gift Of Discernment and helps us be god-like human beings. SCIENCE. Without GOD--the gift of discernment, there would be no science, no philosophy or no art, worthy of our trust.
Quote:
It is the discernment of place, of time, and of person that the inferior artists fail (Macaulay)

Quote:
They eye of the soul acquires a discernment whereby some can instantly read the character of others. (Cardinal Manning)

With the above in mind, think of this thread as an extension of the well-read thread on PHILOSOPHY OF RELIGION, ALL RELIGIONS ... which I started in 2007, using my wife's maiden name. It is also the name of my son, Turner. Statistic in Not-Quite-Science tells us there are now over 8,180,000 hits
======================
to discern
to perceive by the sight or some other sense or by the intellect; see clearly, recognize, distinguish or apprehend: Not till there was enough light were they able to discern a sail on the horizon.
to distinguish mentally; recognize as distinct or different; discriminate: He is incapable of discerning right from wrong.
verb (used without object)
to distinguish or to discriminate.
Origin:
1300–50; Middle English (< Old French ) < Latin discernere to separate, equivalent to dis-off away + cernere, to separate
==================science, no philosophy, no art or anything else worthy of our trust.
Quote:
It is the discernment of place, of time, and of person that the inferior artists fail (Macaulay)

Quote:
They eye of the soul acquires a discernment whereby some can instantly read the character of others. (Cardinal Manning)

With the above in mind, think of this thread as an extension of the well-read thread on PHILOSOPHY OF RELIGION, ALL RELIGIONS ... which I started in 2007, using my wife's maiden name. It is also the name of my son, Turner. Statistic in Not-Quite-Science tells us there are now over 8,180,000 hits
======================
to discern
to perceive by the sight or some other sense or by the intellect; see clearly, recognize, distinguish or apprehend: Not till there was enough light were they able to discern a sail on the horizon.
to distinguish mentally; recognize as distinct or different; discriminate: He is incapable of discerning right from wrong.
verb (used without object)
to distinguish or to discriminate.
Origin:
1300–50; Middle English (< Old French ) < Latin discernere to separate, equivalent to dis-off away + cernere, to separate
==================

Last edited by Revlgking; 07/06/14 12:37 AM. Reason: Always helpful

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org