Quote:
If it is necessary to have a heat source of some sort to cause hydrogen and oxygen to combine where do you think the water in comets, which formed in the cold depths of space, came from?

first we need to establish the validity of the below.
as the remainder of your post depends on its validity.

Quote:
They formed from a chemical reaction which is easily initiated in a great many ways. The chemicals of life can be formed in the same way, by simple chemical reactions. They can then be combined through other simple chemical reactions to form ever more complex chemicals until they all come together to produce life.

I tried to find that information about how water formed
on comets , and was unable.
would you mind posting a link to the info.

I did find this about a actual comet.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/07/science/07comet.html?_r=0

Quote:
Clays and carbonates both require liquid water to form.

"How do clays and carbonates form in frozen comets where there isn't liquid water?" said Carey M. Lisse, a research scientist at the Applied Physics Laboratory at Johns Hopkins University who is presenting the Spitzer data today at a meeting of the Division for Planetary Sciences in Cambridge, England. "Nobody expected this."

Spitzer also detected minerals known as crystalline silicates. Astronomers had already known that comets contain silicates, but silicates line up in neat crystal structures only when they are warmed to 1,300 degrees Fahrenheit - temperatures reached at around the orbit of Mercury - and then cooled.

"How do you do that and then how do you put that stuff into a comet that forms out by Pluto?" Dr. Lisse said.

Dr. Lisse said that the presence of the clays, carbonates and crystalline silicates indicated that material in the solar system's primordial cloud had somehow become well-mixed with dust from the inner solar system migrating outward, or that the minerals had formed through unexpected chemical reactions.

"Both of these are speculation," Dr. Lisse said. "Hopefully in a few months I can tell you."

Another possibility is that the changes are more recent. Within the last 10,000 years, Tempel 1 migrated to the warmer inner solar system, between Mars and Jupiter, but Dr. Lisse said he doubted that was long enough for the makeup of the comet to change much.

initially I was going to include pressure , as in impact pressure but I concluded that heat is a result of pressure
and you guys could figure that one out right away.

I could see how pressures from an impact could cause
water to form far from any heat source as long as there
was hydrogen and oxygen in the vicinity.

and especially when considering the water on comets that develop in the oort cloud beyond our solar systems planets where temperatures approach 0 Kelvin which would most likely dim the chances of chemical reactions taking place unless there was a heat source to warm the vicinity of any proposed chemical reaction.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.