Entanglement occurs when you can bind two (or more) entities within a valid Schrödinger equation that is establish a valid collective coherent wave between the entities. So it is more about wave behaviour than actual mathematics, although obviously you can describe it with mathematics.

The nearest layman example I can think of that is close is music sampling where the human ear can easily distinguish the two sampled tracks. In entanglement the overlap is actually complete not in samples.

You therefor have to try and visualize the waveforms somehow occupying the same space at the same time or as we would say in our classic world a different dimension smile

This is sort of extension of the work taking two atoms splitting them apart and putting them back together that was done last year.

Media:
http://www.livescience.com/20926-quantum-physics-atoms-split.html

They will no doubt ultimately try and show that they have multiple physical copies as per the above work so the idea that this is some mathematical trick can be fully dispelled.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.