Originally Posted By: Marchimedes
Originally Posted By: redewenur
Since the monkey and his departed dung are the only objects in Monkey Universe, with no other points of reference, it's meaningless to talk of which stops first.

You could have just said you don't know instead of trying to cover up your ignorance with a bunch of crap in attempt to insult me and deflect from the actual side question at hand.

I really don't care what you THINK is meaningless. I wonder what the answer is and as you pack of naysayers don't play well with others I'll go ahead and give my common sense layman shot at it.

Monkey has more mass than the feces so the feces would slow down more quickerer and halt.

I gather you didn't like that answer.

Fine, so let's say it does have meaning to ask "which object stops first?". Maybe you disagree with this:-

When one body exerts a force on a second body, the second body simultaneously exerts a force equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to that of the first body. So each will have the same momentum, whatever their mass. Consider what that means regarding the velocity of each. You might discover that they will come to rest at the same time.

And since your monkey is such an ace pitcher, they would be well beyond mutual escape velocity, and never the twain shall meet.

Empty universe, remember? Are you telling me that at some certain distance gravity no longer has any affect on objects? I understand the inverse square rule at work here, but to my understanding the amount of affect of gravity on mutual objects in an empty universe will NEVER be zero. It may be trillions of years into the future and trillions of light yeas apart but at some time gravity will overcome velocity. We are not talking about a rocket escaping Earth's orbit. Please to try to read ALL the words.

Yes, even as a layman, I can go with that. Hope that cheers you up.

The two objects approaching c - from the point of view of a stationary observer - would each gain mass approaching infinity. To accelerate them to c would take energy x time = infinity. In other words, it's not going to happen.

I never said nuttin about an observer. I gots two hyper massive black holes here, I used them cause they have a fair amount of gravitational pull. The closer they get to each other the greater the effect of their gravitational pull is on each other. There's your friggin energy right there. And time? Not a factor, as before with the Monkey.

Of course time is a factor. Acceleration takes time. But you want to believe they will exceed the speed of light? Ok go ahead and believe it. Alternatively you could study the subject.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler