Originally Posted By: Mike Kremer
Since you are talking about energy storage systems.
What exactly are you storing for? to help a car engine/vehicle
move along? Or battery replacement, to drive a generator,
for lighting or power?

According to the article they are planning to store power for off-grid uses, whatever that is. Since they mentioned 25 KW as the goal for the next iteration I assumed that it would be back up for such things as homes. 25KW would be adequate for most homes.

I did a little more research on the system. All I could find was the site of the company that is trying to raise money to develop the system and a bunch of references to their information. There was nothing that commented on the feasibility of the system. Their site did say that they were planning to scale up to 250,000 KWh, which would be good for load leveling on wind or solar generation. Well, I just went back to find the reference to 250,000 KWh on their site, but I can't find it. I remember it being there, so you may just have to take my word for it. However, I didn't really see any thing about just how it would work. They did a lot of what looked to me like hand waving and said it was wonderful. They are talking about doing it with a flexible rotor, whatever that might be. They showed a doughnut shaped rotor rather than a solid rotor. I don't know if that would help, but they claimed that it is inherently stable and requires no special stabilization systems.

Basically I think I will skip any investment in the system. I'm not really impressed with their presentation.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.