I have just returned from 10 days in hospital with pneumonia. Eagerly I looked at SAGG. Imagine my disappointment when, reading through a range of recent posts, I found the old familiar round of political flatulence, petty, blinkered jingoism, ad hominem sniping and self-preening verbosity. I found myself wondering if it was worth looking for any science, or resuming posting in SAGG.

Then I began reading this thread. Definitely not my subject, I have not dabbled in genetics since S101 (Open University, 1983), apart from a little that attached itself to the fossil record. It is refreshing to read a lively discussion which includes at least one person with professional knowledge. So much to learn!

I was surprised to discover that I had posted in this thread. That probably reflects my state of health at the time.

Quote:
Unless having a sore back has a fitness cost (i.e. leads to fewer offspring)

Any male who had serious back problems in his more athletic reproductive years would have some bitter comments on that subject. smile

Quote:
..lets see if you can figure out what those units of time are...

Generations?

Perhaps not as off topic as it might seem; while in hosp I read Adam Frank's "About Time". I recommend it highly. An easy read, different approach and lots of stuff to think about; including thoughts on why we humans evolved as we did.

There never was nothing.