Originally Posted By: Orac
You could the problem is our atmosphere block ELF and so you would need to go out to space and the size of an antena for ELF is prohibitively large to get into space.

With improvements in nano technology constructing a thin antena for these sorts of things I guess would become feasable.

Well, things are developing in that line all the time. In fact that might be a good idea to expand the use of RF astronomy into the ELF range. I don't know what might be happening at those frequencies, but it seems that every time we extend astronomy into a new area we start learning more new things.

And being able to build a huge antenna in space might not be as big a problem as it seems at first. With the latest in materials we are getting structures lighter and lighter all the time. I can imagine a net constructed of extremely fine filaments that could be rolled up into a very small light package and then expand to a structure miles in diameter. After all now they are talking about building cell phone repeaters that have antennas that are sprayed onto convenient surfaces. That of course is a completely different frequency band, but the general idea could be extended to other areas.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.