Originally Posted By: Revlgking

LOTS OF INTERESTING AND POSITIVE COMMENTS
In his nomination speech for Barak Obamma, former president, Bill Clinton spoke for 48 minutes. In it he summed up his feeling about the difference between the Republicans and the Democrats. Here is one of his comments: "The Republicans tell Americans: Fellow Americans, you are on your own...; the messages from the Democrats is: Fellow Americans, we are in it, together ... We are here to solve our problems by being constructive and cooperative with one another."

From the Associated Press:
THE FACTS: From Clinton's speech, voters would have no idea that the inflexibility of both parties is to blame for much of the gridlock. Right from the beginning Obama brought in as his first chief of staff Rahm Emmanuel, a man known for his getting his way, not for getting along.

One of the more high-profile examples of a deal that fell apart was the outline of a proposed "grand bargain" budget agreement between Obama and House Speaker John Boehner in 2011.

The deal would have required compromise from both sides. It slashed domestic spending more than most Democrats wanted and would have raised some taxes, which most Republicans oppose.

Boehner couldn't sell the plan to tea party factions in the House or to other conservative activists. And Obama found himself accused of going too far by some Democratic leaders. The deal died before it ever even came up for a vote.

In another instance, Obama appointed a bipartisan group, known as the Simpsons-Bowles Commission, to recommend ways to fix major fiscal problems like Social Security and Medicare. The commission issued its recommendations but fell three votes short of formally endorsing them. And Obama mostly walked away from the report. He later incorporated some of the less contentious proposals from the report into legislation he supported.

But that ensured the tough compromises would not get made.

The problem with compromising in Washington is that there are few true moderates left in either party. The notion that Republicans are the only ones standing in the way of compromise is inaccurate.

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!