I am no problem with limiting my death toll to any described as sectarian by any on the recognized authorities UN, WHO, Governments etc and I do not care what year periods you make it the average will be several hundred thousand per year.

Thes sectarian death counts increase rapidly wherever stability and law and order is opened up as religious groups use guns to settle differences.

For example look at the Iranq war the cause of which people have opinions on it doesn't matter it is not my category sectarian.

However look at the aftermath
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_war_in_Iraq

Quote:

As of late 2010 violence remains at far lower levels than during the worst of the bloodshed in 2006-2007. However hundreds are still killed every month by sectarian groups and insurgents attempting to exploit the perceived weakness of the Iraqi Government.

In this case it is Sunni versus Shi'a muslims and the total stands at 104,463 since 2003-2011

I would also like to discuss and get some guidelines on 100 000 deaths to science.

This is the actual report that data came from
http://www.whale.to/drugs/iat.html

Please read it carefully

I have a number of issues with the number as does the editoral and I also have issues with defining as deaths to science

Quote:

To obtain overall incidence rates of ADRs in hospitalized patients, the researchers combined the incidence of ADRs in
the hospital and the incidence of ADRs causing admission to the hospital.

Now I have no problem with the "ADRs causing admission to the hospital" but the group that are already in hospital which would only be because they already have serious problems I am not sure how we deal with.

Many of those cases would be only given the drugs because of serious conditions into heavily compromised body health.

I think that problem comes out in the finding and they miss the issue.

Quote:

"This result seems surprising since great changes have occurred over the last four decades in U.S. hospitals that should have affected the incidence of ADRs. Perhaps, while length of hospital stay is decreasing, the number of drugs
per day may be rising to compensate. Therefore, while the actual incidence of ADRs has not changed over the last 32 years, the pattern of their occurrence has, undoubtedly changed,"

What they missed is that over those 4 decades the average life expectancy has increased alot and the elderly in the population has also increased its an issue that comes up time and time again in discussion more elderly equals more people in hospital.

http://content.healthaffairs.org/content/25/3/w141.full

Quote:

This analysis examines how shifts in the age distribution of the U.S. population, reflecting both the aging of the baby-boom generation and increased longevity, will affect demand for hospital inpatient services during the next ten years. Over that period, aging will drive about 0.74 percent annual growth in use of services

What would be interesting to know is the age demographics of those dying in hospitals to ADR's.

My guess at what is happening in the hospitals is simple that the doctors are using drugs in attempt to increase the lifespan of elderly patients who would have historically died from there problem.

What I think you are seeing is a massive rise in deaths from reactions to those drugs in elderly patients for ADR's.

Unfortunately the report didn't do the background age demographics which I find bizzare because it was the first thing I thought of when I read the report.

Anyhow tell me what your view is on how we treat all this.

I would like to ask one final question and it comes from your link from the "alternative medicine" paper

Are you suggesting we give people that are hospitalized alternative medicine?

Last edited by Orac; 09/03/12 04:03 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.