Originally Posted By: paul

you do realize that the atom slows dont you?
so wouldn't the atom's frequency also slow...

and that is the reason that he must lower the frequency of the laser...

and that is the reason the photon will pass through the atom
if he does not lower the frequency...

or did you expect that the atom somehow magically maintains the same exact frequency
after the photon is absorbed and the atom is slowed.

have you questioned your logic about that?

NO Paul I have no idea why that would happen I am not allowed to talk about QM.

So you tell me in your non QM world why would that happen whats the underlying reason that happens please .... besides some man on a youtube video told you.

Your long answer is sort of a 12 year old kiddy answer it is factually bending the truth to make it understandable and its full of simplifications that are actually a lie and can lead to wrong conclussions one of which is in your answer.

3) the atom slows due to its increase in mass.

It is factually wrong infact you guy in the video never spoke about that you have taken mass equivalence law imposed it on his silly simplification and come up with this.

I understand your logic and it is correct but his simplification leads to the problem. I do get why you think this but its not really a factor in what is happening in this case.

He never dealt with and discussed the re-emission of the photon and that has lead to this problem as well as the second error his simplification leads to.

Which is .... you can not simply keep absorbing photon in an atom and exciting it thousand upon thousands of times.

You haven't addressed this issue I have explained it to you and gave you the link to read (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excited_state)

You have also strangely quoted a funny thing

4) the atom cools due to its lower frequency

I am intrigued by this statement can you elaborate and explain it to me please.

And a small but minor correction

BTW: random direction is not the desired direction.

The direction is RANDOM ... sometimes the random direction will be desired sometimes not. A random direction can not always be not desired BY DEFINITION OF RANDOM.

Last edited by Orac; 08/25/12 01:40 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.