Okay Paul I am going to have a go at fixing up the explaination of the vidoe guy without changing the motion bit which is all you seem to care about.

HERE GOES LETS SEE IF THIS WORKS FOR YOU

Ok so the atom absorbs the photon and goes to the excited state and gets it's little "baff" to slow it down.

The excited atom hears at a different and higher frequency than the normal atom and so it no longer interacts with the laser and has the lower kinetic movement.

The excited atom will eventually drop down from the excited state and will emit a photon.

This emission can be in any random direction and also has a "baff" but if the "baff" makes the movement worse the process simply occurs over and over until we are lucky enough by chance to get an absorbtion and emission "baff" the sum of which results in a slowing of the atom or molecule.

**** THE END ****

I think that at least fixes the short comings of his explaination in which we have the atom not just getting more and more excited and absorbing more and more photons that the explaination lead you into.

It also at least deals with how the atom or molecule goes transparent to the laser which is consistant.

FACTUALLY YOU ARE ACCEPTING

1.) Atoms/Molecules can only absorb and emit photons at specific frequencies you just have to accept that not going to explain how or why.

2.) An excited atom/molecule absorbs a higher frequency than a stable or normal state atom or molecule again no explaination

3.) The absorption/emmission process will happen over and over again until by chance you get an absorbtion/emission "baffs" that reduce the temperature of the molecule. This is because we have setup a basic filter by pincering the molecules carefully in 3D.

Are you happy with all that because I think it fixs up the very large flaws in his explaination without compromising the motion you care about.

Last edited by Orac; 08/24/12 05:30 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.