Originally Posted By: Revlgking

Is this a 'how' question? Or is it a 'why', spiritual or pneumatological one? Sounds, to me, like it is the latter.

I am surprised it took you so long to join the discussion Rev :-)

The rotation question came up because for some reason an infinite universe is important to Paul and Socratus.

One of the intersting things about a physically infinite universe it precludes and contains many problems which logically you can show to be factually wrong.

For Socratus and Paul I have posed your same question a number of occasions because an infinite universe seems overly important and disagreement with them causes distress.

Bill S says the same answer science and I give if the universe is moving and rotating how would you know and why would you care and it changes nothing to your observation. You do many things involving physics every day on a spinning earth every day without worrying about the rotation its only interactions with things that are not spinning with earth that the movement becomes important.

Hence the logical answer to Paul was if the movement of the universe is important there must be something outside the universe and therefore the universe can not be infinite.

I commented on this in another thread Rev none of this stuff in science causes you any belief stress because you seperate the universe into a physical and a spiritual universe overlaid and coexisting.

I discussed this in another thread with you when I read the book of genesis and I assumed this was like a fable you were meant to interpret it in that way and I ran into problems with some fundementalist friends who for them it is a literal translation and the word of god.

I am trying to work out if it is one of those issues with Socratus and Paul.

My other alternatives are it is important to them in their mind that science not understand the universe. Again we have discussed this you have no problem with that because you seperate spirituality from the physical world you get that even if I knew everything about the universe it won't answer the question of why are we here. The only answer science can give is we are here because of probability and chance and for many that is not a very satisfying answer at a spiritual level.

The final choice is they are confused and misunderstand science which I can help with and why I persist.

You and I have discusssed it a few times Rev I don't think science and religion are at war I don't even think they are discussing the same problem. To me religion seems to be about why we are here, our morality while we are here and the importance of our life none of which science can answer.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.