Okay Paul I am going to supersize your problem.

I am hoping you realize our sun sheds mass every second to make the light and radiation we take for granted in it's fusion reaction.

Infact from survey we know it consumes around 4 million metric tons of matter per second. So the sun is getting lighter by 4 million metric tons every second and will eventually burn out and collapse.

So you say the sun is changing mass therefore that is definite proof that the universe is changing mass in this case by 4 million metric tons per second.

NO ... run around collect all the energy and radiation it spews per second and you would find it weighs exactly 4 million metric tons by energy mass equivelance.

The universe has the exact same mass your sun got lighter and there is some mass thrown off into wider space but nothing from a total universe perspective changed.

So a slightly unorthodox but not incorrect way to view a sun is a stellar body that spews part of its mass constantly out into the universe.

Hopefully by now you are seeing just how hard it is going to be to change the mass of the universe because energy or mass is going to have to enter or leave the universe.

The big issue for science which I can not answer is where the energy/matter we see today came from because we can't just make the stuff and that is the real problem for science not some hangup you have with some concept of infinite mass.

Last edited by Orac; 08/22/12 05:16 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.