You are getting close to understanding now keep playing with the idea ... In physics it's a standard closed vessel under pressure problem.

To turn your problem to closer to reality take your cracked egg world put on the ground now get a fixed block weight and now get different cup sizes. Turn the cup upside down and place cup on your cracked world now put your standard weight ontop of the upturned base. The different cup sizes are spreading the load of the standard weight out over different areas, note the movement distances in your cracked egg shell.

As I said I am sure at what is happening I would have guessed at it. Note also that the direction is a lift it is working against sea level rise.

Infact there is a logical extension if the physics is working as I describe .... If all the ice on antarctica melted the one place I can >>> guarantee <<< you that won't be under water is antarctica.

Similarly at the moment sea levels around greenand should actually be dropping ....and the answer

Originally Posted By: http://www.cicero.uio.no/fulltext/index.aspx?id=8912

In other words, the paradoxical result will be that as the Greenland ice melts, world sea level will rise because more water enters the oceans, but the sea level around Greenland itself will drop because the island loses mass and its gravity is weakened. The map shows the expected pattern of sea level rise around the world if melting of the Greenland Ice Sheet results in an average sea level rise of one millimetre per year, or 10 centimetres in 100 years. We can see that there will be no sea level rise at all around Greenland – in fact, the sea level will sink, but this is not apparent from the simplified map.

What is described as paradoxical is infact completely obvious if you understand what is happening.

Seriously it's basic physics ... you keep telling me I am wrong but my predictions keep showing otherwise.

Last edited by Orac; 06/08/12 02:35 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.