Originally Posted By: Andist
Advice needed Please.
I live on a boat; everything is 12v
I'm going solar and need to be as energy-conscious as poss.

I looked at LEDs in maplin and the diagram shows a 50k ohm resister either side of the 12v LED (potential devider). I want to put several LED's in parallel. What I dunno is the resistance of the LED and hence what size of resister to put either side of more than one. Any help welcome

[Quote=Mike Kremer]

Hi Andist, Im pretty certain we have spoken before. You wrote that you live on a barge, and I am sure I told you to hotfoot it down to Camden town, Maplins...to buy a Solar 12volt battery charger.??
I do not think they are REAL substitute for a real car battery charger. Rather they just keep the car battery topped up (I think).
Your Car or Marine battery will soon run down when you place any definate load upon it...like a TV or a small Fridge cooler? I dont think the solar charger that Maplins sold at that time gave out enough Milli-amps to run a decent appliance
for more than a few hours, from your 12volt Car/Marine battery.

Re your new above qustion.. you are not giving out enough clear information.
Idividual LED's run off approx 3.1--3.3 DC Volts, not 12 Volts as you suggest.
You might get 4 0r 5 LED's wired up in series to a 12 volt battery to provide say lighting? But individually those LED's will only draw about 3m/a to maybe 30m/a ? depending upon the type of LED
I sm surprised regarding the 50K ohm resistors EITHER side of the Led? A single 5K resistor in series with your LED should be Ok....or two 5k on either side if the LED (as you state?)
..equaling 10k (much less bright, but should be Ok as well)?
Why one either side?
Otherwise not enough info.. so I cannot help further. Sorry

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.