Originally Posted By: paul
Im smart, ,bla,bla,bla,

No. The point is that you were wrong that I didn't do my homework.

Originally Posted By: TheFallibleFiend

2 bananas * 2 = 4 bananas.

that is correct

Thank you!

Originally Posted By: thefalliblefiend

2 bananas * 2 bananas = 4 bananas^2

incorrect

No. You don't understand it. That does not make it incorrect.

Originally Posted By: TheFallibleFiend

1 N <> 1 Ns

[not applicable]

ENTIRELY APPLICABLE! It's the simplified version of what you maintained in a post above.

If you can't understand or at least accept this simple thing, any discussion with kallog or anyone else is wasted.

I wouldnt say that , because it is yourself and kallog who seem incable of discussing physics due to a lack of basic logic.

My straight As in every math class from 4th grade through calculus (as well as physics) says I do understand. I won't mention the statics and mechanics where we did problems just like the ones you're talking about - and much more complicated. What you don't understand is that you're not just disagreeing with Kallog and me. You're disagreeing with every mathematician, engineer, and scientist on the planet.

Let's try something even simpler ...
What is 2x * 2x?

2x * 2x = 4x

I say it's 4x^2. But your answer is good. It's testable. Let's assume you are correct. What happens if, for example, x=3? Plug in 3 to your equation and see if you get the same thing on both sides.

... image of grid omitted ...

in the image above its both clear and logical that
5 x 5 = 25

Correct as far as it goes, but 5x5 has NO dimensions. To include dimensions, let s mean 'square.'
Then we have 5s * 5 = 25s ...
in this case, the 5s means five squares (columns across a row), but the other 5 is five rows (of 5s in each row).

It's true I could always do to refresh my math skills. I do refresh my skills continually, but I could always do more. As I said, I use math nearly every single day of my life to solve real-world problems.

I *highly* recommend you look at the site http://projecteuler.net . You might find some of the problems interesting.

I know this seems incredible to you. But look at that problem above on 2x * 2x. If we can resolve this, then maybe we get around this impasse.