Originally Posted By: Bill S.

I assume you are not saying that QM is taking us back to any pre-conceived religeous beliefs, but rather that it is leading us towards some sort of unity between physical and metaphysical. Surely this is not necessarily "going the wrong way".

I am anticipating a post from "Rev" pointing out (probably correctly) that we need both for a full understanding of our Universe.

I meant what you have said 'some sort of unity between physical and metaphysical'. This is exactly what I consider going back.
'For what purpose are we here? How should we live in this physical world?'. These questions belong to the philosophy domain. 'What this physical world is' is a question in physics.
In the former there can be only opinions. For any straight forward question that has to be answered in 'yes' or 'no', one may say 'yes' and the other may say 'no', and there will not be any logical or rational method to prove that either of the two is correct. Both the answers are their beliefs.
But in science, there is no opinion or belief; there is only one answer. While searching for the answer, you will have many probable answers; even if you select one as the most probable answer, it is provisional till the end of the search.
So there cannot be any mixing of physics with metaphysics. So, QM approaching metaphysics can be an indication that they are in the wrong direction.
No unity is required between physics and metaphysics. There is no enmity or friendship between the two. Any person has to accept the 'only one' answer in physics, and at the same time select either of the 'two answers' in philosophy.