Quote:
Originally posted by Rob:
Count Iblis II,
i agree about the body parts. But if your brain were to be replaced, you would no longer be yourself.
Do you realise that 'you' have only been living for a very short time. what you percieve as 'you' is actually a copy of an older version of you.
say every atom in the world has it's own individual adress. A copy of you, would definitely not be 'you'! Even though they may act exactly like you.
I agree about the fact that my identity is changing. But it is changing precisely because my brain isn't an exact copy of what it was a few seconds ago. Otherwise I wouldn't have noticed the flow of time.

If you say that an exact copy of a brain still isn't the same thing, then you assume that no mathematical description of reality is possible. Let's say that you make 10^100 identical brains. If they would all be different, then they can't really be exact copies.

There must thus exist hidden variables that account for the 10^100 possible extra states the brain can be in. But the figure of 10^100 was arbitrary, so you need to postulate an infinite number of extra states to describe reality. This amounts to saying that a mathematical description of reality is impossible.