I've been informed by people who know these things first hand, that during Iraq I, US troops often referred to the soviet-made T-72s as "pop tops." The sabot rounds (depleted uranium) from the US tanks would pass through the sovient model, superheating the insides and causing an explosion that would literally pop the turret off the hull.

In one particular incident called the battle of 73 easting, three US companies got a little disoriented during a sandstorm and found themselves far behind enemy lines - in fact they were in the midst of an entire brigade. Fortunatley for the americans, after they shot their first few rounds, the Iraqis (recall this was during a sandstorm) thought they were under aerial attack. They got out of their tanks and went into foxholes. The iraqi tanks were "hidden" behind sand berms, but our vehicles were equipt with thermal sights. Relatively few (possible no) iraqis were killed, but most of their vehicles were destroyed.

In any case, the sabot rounds went through the berms, through one side of the hull and out the other. (At least that's what I've heard.)