hey Rob,

first, let me correct a reference error i made when talking about M-theory. The gentleman who helped advance the field was Ed Witten (not Wheeler).

Yes, to pop out of existence does mean to disappear from this known universe. There is speculation that our universe may not be the only one around. For an extreme version of this possibility you can see books by David Deutsch (The Fabric of Reality). I could only handle a few chapters before he started blowing my mind.

As far as being specific, I can only be as specific as my knowledge takes me. Other than that, you're on your own.

I do not mean negative numbers when I refer to small. I mean small size distances such as 0.000000000000000000000000000000001 meters. I do not mean zero, just distances that are very small such as the lengths between atoms or even within atoms.

Good point about the ether and the water analogy. According to the things I've read, in the years before Einstein most physicists believed light had to be carried thru a medium in order for it to travel. They called this medium 'the ether'. The comparison that is commonly given is that of sound being carried on/in water by water molecules either getting closer together or farther apart. Einstein changed the world view (for most of the scientific community) when he claimed there was no ether and light did not need a medium to travel thru.

However, I have recently read that the ether arguement is regaining traction among some scientists because it helps to explain a few of their findings. I would have to go back and sift thru my SAs to find the reference and the reason. I belive it is in a group of writings called 'Beyond Einstein' Special issue SA September '04.

good evening,

mark