Originally Posted By: mason
The only thing more boring than money is listening to ninety per cent of everyone I know cry about it everyday. I been poor all my life n I'm doing just fine. What's everyone else's problem? ...
Nice little rant, Mason. Money boring? How much reading have you done on the history, nature and function of money? BTW, you mentioned your poverty.

HOW'S THIS FOR POVERTY?
======================
I was born, Jan.14, 1930 on Bell Island (8 X 3 miles), Conception Bay, Newfoundland (NL)--England's oldest colony. BI is 9 miles from downtown St. John's (120,000) the capital. From 1934 to 1949, NL was ruled as a colony caught in the grip of the Great Depression.

Life on Bell Island (BI) NL, during the depression--then a mining town of 10,000, with many unemployed miners--was not the kind one could call a green-and-pleasant land. Since 1949--The year NL confederated with Canada things started to improve so that now--thanks to off-shore oil discoveries--it is a "have province" not a "have-not one" like Ontario. For the story check out
www.bellisland.net
On the Home Page, be sure and view the Island History and the photo album with many starkly beautiful Photo Album.

In the 30's and 40's, I grew up in conditions that were not what one would call rosy and promising. Today, we would call them third-world conditions. Social assistance, from the bankrupt government in St. John's, and the mine owners, for the many poverty-stricken was virtually zero.

Because of the abundance of poverty and disease (especially TB), by the time I was five I had lost my oldest brother (25), my oldest sister (24)--she lost her husband and her two baby daughters--and our mother, who died in the wee hours of the morning. I still live with the feelings of fear and dread imprinted on me by those experiences and those of the war that came to our shores in 1939.

Ironically, WW2 --during which we on BI experienced two deadly attacks (1943, 69 killed)) by enemy subs. Quite a story--brought a measure of prosperity to the hard working (10-hour shifts) iron-miners of BI. My older siblings were very helpful and caring of my younger sister and I. This and hard work helped me get a university education and poverty-freeing employment for the rest of my life.

MY INTEREST IN THE STORY, NATURE AND FUNCTION OF MONEY
======================================================
Back to money. My life experiences, as outlined above, have given me a keen interest in understanding the use and abuse of money. I find it hard to believe that anyone would not be. The lack of money caused a lot of unnecessary pain and suffering to the people of NL when I was growing up. The getting of some of it sure solved a lot of problems, especially the ones that I had.

Who has read what I have said about money in my Latest Posts to: "Philosophy of Religions--all religions, including..."? Because it takes money to get things done,I wanted to add--had the space allowed--holistic health, wealth and the economy. Check out www.torontodollar.com Since 1998 it has run many programs to help the poor in downtown Toronto.

BTW, most people in the know know that economics is not a science. Adam Smith, the father of economics was a moral philosopher. Like the humble economist, who admitted economists were asleep at the switch on October, 2008, said to the weather forecaster: "Your guess is as good as mind!"

But seriously, are there any in this forum who are students of the art?

Last edited by Revlgking; 04/11/11 07:33 PM.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org