Originally Posted By: paul
First Off

each of those guys that are there is a HERO in my book.

Originally Posted By: paul

what I have seen so far on the tv and in videos.

cheap respirators.
paper suits.
the food they have to eat isnt enought to help their
bodies keep there imune system strong.

As odd as it seems, the first two are actually more than sufficient for what they are dealing with. contrary to poplar belief, the kinds of radiation released by reactors is generally of fairly low penetrating power. The main isotopes being released as Cesium-137 and Iodine-131. Both are beta emitters, and beta radiation is generally of minimal danger when we are exposed to it externally - most of their energy (and thus damaging potential) can be abrogated by a thin layer of low-density material like paper or plastic. Combined with the absorbency of the dead layer of skin overtop of the living skin, a paper suit is more than ample protection.

Ironically, paper is actually safer than lead or other dense materials. If you slow a beta particle too quickly it releases its kinetic energy as x-rays (Bremsstrahlung radiation).

The respirators are also ideal - while beta exposure to the skin is of minor concern, and easily abrogated with a paper/plastic suit, internal exposure via lungs or food is a major concern - that is where cancer (and if enough is consumed - radiation poisoning) comes from. But as cheap as their respirators seem, it is the industry standard because they work well. They look cheap because they are single-use units; which is far safer than trying to maintain a multi-use unit.

As for food, I lived in Japan for a few months and was astounded by how little they ate. But I doubt they're malnourished; the people I lived and worked with were far too vibrant for that...

Bryan

UAA...CAUGCUAUGAUGGAACGAACAAUUAUGGAA