Quote:

This is probably ultra-naive, but I thought a photon was a quantum of light, that is why I wondered if the device had to create a second photon and somehow entangle it with the first.

Yes, DD could well be right, he certainly makes a good case. You will be aware of my discussions with Kallog about infinity. In the back of my mind is the thought that something about the nature of infinity should throw some light (no pun) on quantum strangeness. Getting the ideas to run smoothly is the problem. I took my wife's advice and wrote them down. Things seemed to go well for a while, but I keep finding holes in the "bag" I put them in. Now Kallog keeps making more holes, but that has to be a good thing.

Yes, a photon is a quantum of light Bill S. but there is a way of splitting up one photon into 'twins.' These twins will be 'entangled' which, as I mentioned earlier, means they act as one system, although exactly how is beyond me and probably even beyond the experts. I do know it is a very delicate operation to achieve. Even entangled photons many lights years separated will have a 'spooky' connection.

Well, this is what science is all about, Bill S. - somebody has a bright idea then other people try to find holes in it. This is a healthy situation since many 'good' ideas will not be correct. Imagination is beneficial I think because without it where would be be? The role of science is to rigorously examine ideas of course.