ImagingGeek: If you are going to pretend you are some sort of expert on the subject, at least get the basic facts correct.

After my initial attempts at correcting your errors, I gave up, it just wasn't worth the effort.

These days, I usually can't be bothered making the effort to correct you, but it irks me to see you "teach" others total rubbish.

I didn't read your post carefully, but these errors stood out like a sore thumb.

Originally Posted By: ImagingGeek
All bodies radiate heat as a black body (wikipedia has a good page on this).

Real objects NEVER behave as black bodies.

A black body emitter is an idealized object, not a real object.

Terms such as "gray body" have been introduced because of this (and even a "gray body" is an idealization).

The total intensity is determined by the mass of the black body (larger objects give off more energy).

The intensity of the radiation produced by a black body is dependent ONLY on the temperature.

It is NOT dependent on the mass.

Maybe you are using the word intensity when you mean something else.

Air is largely transparent to the wavelengths emitted by the sun. Ergo, sunlight passes through the atmosphere without warming it.

Air contains water vapor and water vapor absorbs the infrared emitted by the sun quite strongly.

Hence, air is NOT largely transparent to the wavelengths emitted by the sun.

It is however relatively transparent to the visible spectrum.

On a clear day about one quarter of the visible spectrum is absorbed by the atmosphere.

For the above reasons sunlight DOES warm the atmosphere, contrary to the Geek's claims.

----------------

The opening around India.

Notice that India is pushed under the rest of Asia, forming the Himalayas.

Cool animations, eh?

Also, See if there are any topics of interest to you on my little forum:

http://www.preearth.net/phpBB3/search.php?search_id=newposts

Last edited by preearth; 07/25/10 08:25 AM.

Earth formed from a collision
www.preearth.net

Plate-tectonics is wrong
www.preearth.net/plate.html