Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Al:
Quote:
Could the gradual saponification of the oceans surfaces, by man. Effect upon water vapour uptake? (Mike Kremer said that)
Nothing dissolved wthin the bulk or layered on the surface increases the vapor pressure of water over the bulk fluid.

The simple way to starve a hurricane is to reduce the vapor pressure of the ocean. This could be accomplished by spreading something on the surface, Enviro-whiner caterwauling aside. OK,

6.65 million cubic yards of anything is a whole bunch. If it is mariner's linseed oil (spread on troubled waters) Oh yeah - waves disrupt the surface.

Not even wrong.

BTW, saponifaction is aqueous alkaline hydrolysis of an ester. You are talking out of your butt.
Well Uncle Al,I'm talking out of my butt, but, you seemed to have answered my question indirectly, When you say that spreading linseed oil upon troubled waters could starve a hurricane. by reducing the vapour pressure above the ocean.
Ok Good.
Now surely the gradual mixing mixing OF SOAP into the oceans would lessen the surface tension of its turbulent surface, producing more spray and waves...therefore increase the surface area exposed to the winds, and thus alolowing water vapour to be taken up, quicker.
Certainly quicker than your linseed oil spreading
Since you mentioned oil might starve a hurricane, so now I am assuming that I have a case. For the quicker takeup of water vapour due to less surface tension. ie So what goes up must come down as more, or heavier rain?

Sapon is the French derived word for soap, as a Chemist I am sure you know that. I meant the natural increase of soaps into the oceans, as hair shampoos, washing powders and others.
My word Saponification was probably a poor attempt at creating an adjective.
I did not write your word 'Saponifaction' I presume that is one of your chemical terms, of which I have no knowledge of.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.