Originally Posted By: paul
Quote:
So you realised that writing a program won't prove it works, but you still believe it would. Are you going to go and build it in private? Or spend the rest of your life frustrated at other people without actually finding out the truth (whatever it may be) for yourself?

No !! I realized that you two guys contridict yourselves to the point that you dont even know what you think.

Really? Point out one example where we contradict ourselves.

Preferably an example where its a true contradiction, not you mis-interpreting our claims, or lying about them.

first you say the pipe will move , then you say it wont.

now you say it will only move the lenght of the pipe.
which is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

But it is the correct answer, paul, and it has been experimentally/functionally verified - the same principal is used by doo-dads on spacecraft (i.e. gyroscopes) to hold or change the orientation of the spacecraft without altering its net momentum.

Let's see if you can follow the bouncing ball:

1) Momentum cannot be changed by internal forces in closed systems.
2) The momentum of a closed system is measured from its center of mass.
3) Internal forces can shift mass around inside of a closed system.
4) The movement in #3 would change the momentum of the closed system, by moving its center of mass, therefore to not violate the conservation of momentum the "equal an opposite" reaction generated by the forces moving the mass creates an equal, but opposite movement of momentum (mass) in the opposite direction.

The net effect in your new system is simple - you move mass forward, and as a consequence the pipe moves backwards due to the equal, but opposite force induced by the movement of the mass forwards. The center of mass of the system is maintained, and thus the law of conservation of momentum is not violated.

theres nothing that will stop the pipe once it starts moving in
the concept that I have put up.

laugh
Other than the laws of physics

Quote:
WHY WOULD IT STOP?

you cant give a reason , except that it would break a law.

Because the mass you've moved forward also has to stop. The force stopping the mass moving forward would also stop the movement of the mass moving backwards.

Basic laws of physics, paul - every reaction has an opposite and equal reaction. The ball you throw won't magically stop.

Bryan

UAA...CAUGCUAUGAUGGAACGAACAAUUAUGGAA