Originally Posted By: paul
I was going to wait a while longer but decided to go ahead and let you know that the side of the equation you use is used in determining the amount of thrust and duration of flight in a combustion based rocket engine.

Sorry, that dog doesn't hunt - the properties of gas flow doesn't magically change due to the source of pressure. It doesn't matter if the air is compressed by a fan, piston, chemically (i.e. combustion) or through magic - once compressed, the release of that gas will obey the exact same physical laws.

so in reality in my example that does not have a nozzle your side of the equation is unecessary as it only allows a area to focus the thrust in a direction and with adjustable nozzles can be used to adjust thrust amounts.

Wrong again - nozzles harness the expansion of the compressed gas once they leave the tank, regardless of the source of that pressure. The fact you have compressed air, while rockets have fire to compress their air, doesn't change the fact that both will produce pressurized streams of air that can act against that nozzle - or in your example, will be wasted due to the lack of a nozzle.

and of course the m*Ve side of the equation is the same as the momentum equation and is the only side of the equation that we should use , given we have no nozzle.

No, it is not, as described by both YOUR and MY links. m is mass flow, not mass. Ergo m*Ve calculates a FORCE NOT MOMENTUM.

I was thinking you would eventually figure that out , but this has dragged on too long and you never did.

Figured out what - that you don't read your own sources, or that you don't understand the difference between a force and momentum?

Bryan

UAA...CAUGCUAUGAUGGAACGAACAAUUAUGGAA